• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Bonding 8 bunnies - 5 males with 3 females??

Stargirl170

Young Bun
Bonding help please? I have a quad (2 male 2 female), a pair (1 male 1 female) which have all been neutered. A few months back bought a young pair of females. They have not yet been neutered but planned to get this done before attempting a big bond of all 3 males and 5 females.

HOWEVER! I discovered last night that the two females I bought are actually males :( this would mean attempting a bonding of 5 males and 3 females... I've read in several places that it isn't ideal to have more males than females in a group, that isn't the best combination and it might not work. Can I have your thoughts on this please? Unfortunately I can't afford to 'even it out' and get another two females! x

I think it's going to depend more on the actual characters of the rabbits involved. My quad was 3 males and 1 female and there was never any problem.

Bonding help please? I have a quad (2 male 2 female), a pair (1 male 1 female) which have all been neutered. A few months back bought a young pair of females. They have not yet been neutered but planned to get this done before attempting a big bond of all 3 males and 5 females.

HOWEVER! I discovered last night that the two females I bought are actually males :( this would mean attempting a bonding of 5 males and 3 females... I've read in several places that it isn't ideal to have more males than females in a group, that isn't the best combination and it might not work. Can I have your thoughts on this please? Unfortunately I can't afford to 'even it out' and get another two females! x

Willow&Squiggles on here has attempted an eight bonding .. Perhaps look up her threads and have a read? I know the male/female proportions are different in each case, so I wouldn't write it off, but prepared for the long haul.

Good luck xx

It'll be hard work, but not impossible. My quad is heavily skewed in the other direction - 3 females, 1 male, and they came about very easily. I was incredibly lucky. It definitely comes down to personality at the end of the day.

Back