• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Help needed - Mr B Very ill - updated

Miss Binky Bunny

Alpha Buck
Sorry for the short post, getting ready to go visit him at hospital.... If anyone has any experience of what's causing all these symptoms please help. Thanks in advance and please send healing vibes. It's touch and go he'll get through this.... :(;( ;(

He started signs of stasis Tuesday morning. Went into hospital yesterday. He's on gut meds and painkillers, I.V. drip. V low dose Ketamine was added to his list of painkillers yesterday. He isn't responding to the painkillers or gut stimulants. Vet today has booked radiograph for him and he'll need G.A. which I know is going to be very risky but he's past point of only medicating and she needs to investigate. She's also testing for EC. She is a rabbit savvy vet, it's one of the RVC hospitals.

His glucose came back normal. His temp was minutely raised yesterday PM at 40.4. Liver and kidney blood tests all normal.

Symptoms: Seizure activities - twitching, running in circles, running up to corner and stopping, was doing weird tapping motion yesterday with mouth on edge of bowl when still eating liquid food, stops and starts suddenly then motionless.

Currently: severe stasis day 3, not taking oral meds any longer, lots of inflammation/swelling in cecum area, not eating even liquids now/not pooing and symptoms all worsening.

Last edited:
I don't know what might be wrong but lots of vibes that you can get to the bottom of it and your bunny recovers x

they did blood tests for liver and kidney last night. I'll ask when I get there. Thx Jane. If white blood cell abnormal, what are looking for?
Will try to check back on here if I can manage to access web while there... x

No advice to give I'm afraid but didnt want to read and run. Hope Mr B starts to improve soon bless him xx

they did blood tests for liver and kidney last night. I'll ask when I get there. Thx Jane. If white blood cell abnormal, what are looking for?
Will try to check back on here if I can manage to access web while there... x

Raised WBC count could point to an acute infection. Could it be sepsis ?

That last part sounds like what bisc had. Vet said suspected sepsis when he was admitted.

Leading upto it he would act on and off a bit odd. Hard to explain.

He was being treated for an infection just before and had caecum problems anyway x

Eta: inflammation around sight of infection, his nose.

Sorry for the short post, getting ready to go visit him at hospital.... If anyone has any experience of what's causing all these symptoms please help. Thanks in advance and please send healing vibes. It's touch and go he'll get through this.... :(;( ;(

He started signs of stasis Tuesday morning. Went into hospital yesterday. He's on gut meds and painkillers, I.V. drip. V low dose Ketamine was added to his list of painkillers yesterday. He isn't responding to the painkillers or gut stimulants. Vet today has booked radiograph for him and he'll need G.A. which I know is going to be very risky but he's past point of only medicating and she needs to investigate. She's also testing for EC. She is a rabbit savvy vet, it's one of the RVC hospitals.

His glucose came back normal. His temp was minutely raised yesterday PM at 40.4. Liver and kidney blood tests all normal.

Symptoms: Seizure activities - twitching, running in circles, running up to corner and stopping, was doing weird tapping motion yesterday with mouth on edge of bowl when still eating liquid food, stops and starts suddenly then motionless.

Currently: severe stasis day 3, not taking oral meds any longer, lots of inflammation/swelling in cecum area, not eating even liquids now/not pooing and symptoms all worsening.

I am so sorry to hear this Miss BB :(

I really hope Mr B gets better and the vet gets to the root of the problem. You must be worried lout of your mind.

Loads of vibes :love:

Thx B&M. Passed onto info to vet. Sorry to hear about Bisc. X
That last part sounds like what bisc had. Vet said suspected sepsis when he was admitted.

Leading upto it he would act on and off a bit odd. Hard to explain.

He was being treated for an infection just before and had caecum problems anyway x

Eta: inflammation around sight of infection, his nose.

Thanks for all the well wishes. Mr B looked calmer when we saw him. he is a on a lot of meds, the ketamine seems to be helping tho still some teeth crunching. They're running more tests this afternoon and he'll be given medazalam. Miss B was being supportive. Fingers crossed everything goes okay. X

Thanks for all the well wishes. Mr B looked calmer when we saw him. he is a on a lot of meds, the ketamine seems to be helping tho still some teeth crunching. They're running more tests this afternoon and he'll be given medazalam. Miss B was being supportive. Fingers crossed everything goes okay. X

Sending lots more vibes for Mr B xx

Thinking of you and hoping the vet can work his magic on Mr B xxx

Back