• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Will she calm down???

The Fonz

Warren Scout
Hello!!

I think I might be repeating here because I'm sure I've seen this question posted before, but I can't find the thread! Sorry! I was just wondering if bunnies calm down once they've been spayed? The Fonz is a nutter and she runs around like a loon! She'll cuddle up to us if we're sat or laid on the floor, but as soon as she decides she doesn't want to be stroked anymore, she's off! 8) I don't want her to lose her quirky personality because she's so funny, but I don't not want her to be spayed because of the complications it can cause in later life! Does anyone have any advice or tips? All help would be really appreciated! Thank you!!

Blessed Be,
XxXxX Emma XxXxX

I have always found males to be better at being cuddled and stroked.All the doe's we have had have been rather moody and temprementle!!We had 2 of our 3 spayed and to tell the truth they did calm down a little.they were no way near as protective of their hutches as they were before.

In my experience, personality stays. You can actually get to know your rabbit better when they are not obsessed by territorial and sexual frustration.
Bunnies who are loveable and quirky stay that way but you get to see more of them! Without the teenage angst.
She will be easier to litter train, will sit still for more cuddles and will find it easier to concentrate on having a relationship with you.

Hello again. Spaying may help if she's aggressive but it doesn't always remove it altogether. What you describe is her happiness (i think) do you mean the mad dashes and happy binkies and sometimes the bunny 500's round the living room? If that what your worried about losing, you won't she does these because she's a happy little girl. Its very surprising how much noise a little Nethie can make while having a mad dash isn't it?

Angela

What you describe is her happiness (i think) do you mean the mad dashes and happy binkies and sometimes the bunny 500's round the living room? If that what your worried about losing, you won't she does these because she's a happy little girl. Its very surprising how much noise a little Nethie can make while having a mad dash isn't it?

lol!! That's exactly what I meant! She's so adorable and it's a wonder she doesn't completely tire herself out! I'm glad she won't stop doing that or stop being her cheeky self! :D She isn't aggressive at all, so I'm not worried about that! Awwww! I'm all happy now!! Thanks so much for all your advice!! :D

Spaying removes the hormones so it effects the behaviour that is driven by these. Thats things like territorial agression (hormones say a female rabbit has to protect her nest), spraying (hormones say mark your territory) and phantom pregnacies (hormones say she should have babies). Playing isn't a hormone driven behaviour so it shouldn't be effected by spaying.

Tam

Playing isn't a hormone driven behaviour so it shouldn't be effected by spaying.

Right! I just thought it might have been because she was in season or something, or perhaps something she might get bored of once she's been spayed. I've only had one bunny before The Fonz, and she was already spayed when we got her, so I wasn't entirely sure what to expect!

Back