• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Puppy pens (found pvc coated mesh panels instead.....yeah!)

I used three lots of puppy playpen like this http://m.thesportshq.com/hq-pet-met...FRGsStrf48BoCiULw_wcB#PhotoSwipe1479352601870
In my old garden to stop buns eating all the plants. The gaps were fine. They managed to put their paws on the rungs but never through. I have had big rabbits though.
It was a good solution to sharing the garden with rabbits who could come and go from the house when we were around. Hard to get decent sized runs for outdoor rabbits.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

I would rather use a small mesh, thicker wire weldmesh. In a hutch, I think the rabbits are more vulnerable due to the depth of them. If a predator can get a paw through the bars, the rabbit is more likely to be harmed or scared / go into shock. Cats can play with animals through bars and inflict nasty wounds. A fox or determined dog could hook their claws or teeth through the wider spaced, thicker bars of a run panel and get leverage to pull it out of place.

I can see why it looks like a good idea and have considered it myself as they are a convenient, no sharp bits, and easy to fasten on, but I would put an additional layer of small (thin stuff would do) mesh on one side just to stop pesky paws getting through. It also stops other smaller creatures who would be attracted by the food (eg rats, birds) and will definitely stop bunnies getting their head stuck (see other threads on here).

Thanks for your replies. I would build t into a wooden frame but i did think about paws too. My other half is preferring to buy larger panels to work with, i just wanted it to be a little easier..and the thickness was quite sturdy. He does not want mesh...we currently have that on the one run i have and on the hutches its the lazybones dipped welded mesh with longer slots/gaps. It seems like the project continues...I wonder if I will still have bunnies by the time its done! lol! Ive been trying to get this done for years now...gone through all sorts of designs...

In the meantime for winter I might purchase another run and build it onto my existing one so its a walk in area ..nightmare leaning over the run and getting wet including everything else in it.

thanks guys!

The 1" looks better - I wouldn't use 2" mesh on a hutch - the gaps are big enough for them to chew the bars easily (so the green plastic will come off) and it gives no protection against predators swiping through the bars. It looks like nice, sturdy stuff and is galvanised under the plastic so won't rust when the inevitable holes appear in the coating. I've bookmarked it for a project here...

Back