• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Bedding

Diddeen

Wise Old Thumper
What do you bed your rabbits on?
I have tried sawdust and shavings but due to my bunny's fluff i gave up and now just put hay throughout his cage. He has been good using his litter tray since recently when he decided he wants to pee on hay so i looking to see if an alternative. Any suggestions?
I use paper based cat litter in his trays.
Also does anyone in my area, hampshire, get bags of decent meadow hay, not bales as i dont have room. I find it hard to find places.
Chris

Don't know where they get it from, Chris, but my local pet shop down the road here (Eastney, Southsea) has the best hay I could possibly get! It comes in plastic bags, there is a company name on it but not a common one, and you get a whole flap from a bale for £1.75. I always pick out the biggest flaps so it lasts quite well.... I have 5 adult buns and some babies.

It smells sweet, is green and leafy, and I really don't think I could find better if I went and bought a bale somewhere. A couple of years ago I shared a house with someone who had buns and several times went with them to the feed merchants (Norris at Beaulieu) to get a whole bale ... they were never as good as this.. usually yellowy and not as soft or sweet. I grew up in a village playing on farms and in hay barns, the smell of good hay takes me right back... am I sad, but I open the bag and just breathe deeply sometimes! lol... Part of the joy of keeping bunnies again, there is nothing like the smell of hay and wood shavings.

I'll have a look on the bag to see if there are any contact details (I don't think there are) and try to wheedle out of the pet shop owner where it comes from.

Couldn't you bed him on shredded paper and put his hay in a hay rack.
Or put him on vet bed will pull the wee away from his coat.

Hiya,

West Wales Willows sell their 1st and 2nd cut Fresh timothy hay in great hessian bags. www.westwaleswillows.co.uk They deliver all over the country. The shipping can be expensive so all the bun owners on my street put in an order at the same time. We order so much that the delivery is free. You could do something like that locally?
They are very knowledgeable about the nutritional content of their hay. Thaey have each cut analyased for fibre vs carbs content etc. They can give you advice on which cut is the most appropriate for your bun. Pregnant does and young rabbits get more benefits from certain cuts.
It smells gorgeous. My rabbits go mad for it and so do the piggies.
WWW are really very special. They are passionate about it and quite likely it is the best hay you can buy. The hessian bags are quite a handy size but they sell it in about 10 different sizes.

KR
Andrea

HI Chris
it is sooo hard to find decent hay, and hay that isn't dusty, and that you can trust hasn't been treated in any way, or have mites, etc etc etc. At the moment, I am just buying the Pillow Wad from Scats which is nice hay, but a bit pricy of all my bunnies but is probably very reasonable for just the one. You could litter him on megazorb which I can source for you if you are interested, but it does come in a big sack... :lol:

West Wales Willows do do some lovely hay, really nice, if you want to do an order of that I know a few people who may share the delivery etc. :D

annie x

Thanks for the info guys.
I think if i put him on shredded paper or vetbed he would eat it!!! he is a very munchy bunny :roll:
I get lovely hay from a pet shop in norfolk near my parents, but i dont go there frequently enough to keep stocked up with it, so its a recent problem ive had. Some hay i have had is soo fine and soft, others are like really crunchy thick stems. I dont really know which are best. I know what it should smell like and i too love the smell of fresh sweet hay mmmmmmmmmmmmmm
Chris

Back