• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Urine-proof shed floor

carysannie29

Young Bun
Hi all, I'm looking for some ideas for how to protect the shed floor. My rescue girls have a lovely custom-built shed from the Welfare Hutch Company and I'm worried the floor is getting ruined because they just wee everywhere! Long story behind it all, but they have a huge litter tray with a low edge (one bun has a head tilt so finds it difficult to jump too high) in the corner where they always used to go. They do use it but in the last couple of weeks they're just going all over the rest of the floor too. It's soaking through and now that it's so cold and damp outside it's not drying out very well so the floor is always wet which can't be good for their feet/bums and temperature as well as ruining the shed.

It feels like every day there's more and more and I'm getting so frustrated! I want to make it nice and cosy for them but there's no chance of putting blankets or anything down because they'll just be soaked through in a couple of hours. Any advice is very welcome! Thank you :)

You could use non slip vynil flooring or rubber stable matting to line the floor. It would make it much easier to clean:thumb:

My shed has a lino floor. Very good for wee protection.

Good luck. I love the welfare hutch company stuff.

I have lino on my playhouse floor, but I cover it with newspaper when it's wet outside and not drying because they end up with matted feet and bumskirts :roll: Mine don't wee all over the place (usually) though so maybe you'd be better just leaving it at lino?

I have an outdoor hutch indoors which is open all the time but it's where Doughnut's litter tray is. I covered the floor with lino and it's 5 years old and no staining and easy to clean.

i was going to say lino or stable matting aswell.

i noticed that manor pet housing make guinea pig enclosures and use a clear waterproof paint on the floor to prevent urine soaking in. perhaps message them and ask what they use? although not sure how you'd get painting and drying done this time of year!

Another idea! I have 2 messy rabbits in a 5 x 4 playhouse - they now have 4 litter trays but with winter coming on I had some Aubiose left over and decided to put a layer all over the floor and it seems to be working. You can put as deep a covering as you wish and going off my playhouse it seems quite successful. it's nice and dry for their feet and it must be warmer. Lino is optional, the problem is if it gets wet underneath it will not dry as quickly as if you don't have any.

Thanks so much everyone - I'll definitely try putting down lino! Now for the mission of drying the floor out enough to put it down...:?

Back