• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Rescues - Indoor rabbits and space.

TheThreeB's

Mama Doe
Hi all,

(Wasn't too sure where to put this btw)

For a little while now I've been browsing the websites of my local rescue centres, a bit prematurely though as our doe has to recover from her spay op, but can't help myself!

I'm hoping to find a rescue with a lovely male that's looking for a companion and happy to live indoors, at least for the foreseeable future. Also I would probably need the rescue to bond them, due to lack of a neutral space.

However, the majority of them talk about hutches and runs and exploring outside and very few mention house rabbits.

So, I'm just wondering really, do some rescues prefer buns to be housed outdoors, or have i just yet to come across any buns that prefer it themselves? Some of the few indoors buns I've seen its been recommended that they are kept single. Or could most buns potentially adjust to being indoor buns given the chance?

In addition, what would be the recommended size living area for an indoor bun?

Thank you x

All of my buns are indoors and I think most (if not all!) would adjust to being inside.
I think the recommended living space should always be as much space as you can give them :) I have two upstairs that have their own bedroom but they also have our bedroom and the landing, when we first got them we wanted them to come downstairs too but they never learned how to tackle the stairs. We also had two downstairs, we lost Billy at the weekend but Bianca still has our living room and the dining room. She also has the kitchen if we are home to supervise them :)

Thanks for replying Roxy :) Im so sorry about Billy :(

Currently, the doe in question Dottie, has my daughters room, it's a good size and as she has a cabin bed with a desk underneath, Dottie does get the entire floor space. Unfortunately we do have two dogs, who have access to downstairs only, so we can't bring her down (they are not the kind of dogs who would accept a rabbit).

I wonder though whether when it came to a home check for a rescue that we would not be approved, although in the bedroom alone we can provide more room than a lot of hutches/runs. Most likely in the spring / summer we would also give them time in an outside run.

Lots to think about x

We adopted an indoor bun earlier this year.
The rescue checked the room(s) were bunny proofed and that we met there minimum area. There did not seem to be any issue with us offering an indoor home

When I first enquired about adopting Peanut Butter and Snoopy I was initially sent a questionnaire about outside accommodation. As I live in a flat I told them they would be indoors and gave details about what I intended for their living accommodation, specifically that they would be totally free range with a hidey hole and platforms to jump up and down on and how I bunny proofed the flat. My understanding is that the rescues want to ensure that they rabbits have permanent access to plenty of space so I would think a whole bedroom would be fine. When you come to contact rescues I think it would help if you give as much detail as possible, with measurements and photos if possible.

Thank you, he was such a lovely boy and we are missing him like crazy :(

When we adopted Bianca we were told it was actually quite hard to fail a home check. If your accommodation isn't right then they will give you advice on how to improve it :)
I think the main thing that they worry about when it comes go rehoming buns indoors is if they are going to be shut in a tiny cage which is something that you won't be doing :)
I think you will be fine!
X

Thanks everyone :) I'm hopeful that our plans will come together. I'm committed to providing what they need, so I'll have to make some enquiries and go from there.

I did today see a lovely bun on a rescue page, who is actually looking for a 'wife' and an indoor home! He sounds perfect! One issue though is that Dottie only had her spay op yesterday and my dh doesn't want to start looking until she's had time to recover. Which I understand.

However, would it be a good idea to get the ball rolling? x

I think the only problem you would have with your situation is that you wouldn't be able to guarantee the rescue that you would definitely adopt him, as it would depend on whether he and Dottie bonded OK. When I saw our rabbits I visited them almost immediately and then reserved them. They remained like that at the rescue for several weeks while my OH finished off their accommodation (in January so we had a problem with the weather) before we collected them.

The rescue might not be keen to have him reserved under those circumstances. However, if the rescue is close to you I can't see any problem going to have a look and registering an interest, explaining the situation.

Yeah your right Omi, I'd thought about that too. I had been looking at rescues that would also do bonding in case they don't get on but I pretty sure this one doesn't - Bluecross! Also I can't reasonably expect them to reserve him for a length of time when someone else might come along. His particular centre is an hour away from us.

I should really listen to my dh and only start looking when we are in a position to act :oops::) x

Yeah your right Omi, I'd thought about that too. I had been looking at rescues that would also do bonding in case they don't get on but I pretty sure this one doesn't - Bluecross! Also I can't reasonably expect them to reserve him for a length of time when someone else might come along. His particular centre is an hour away from us.

I should really listen to my dh and only start looking when we are in a position to act :oops::) x

Easier said than done though :lol:

I've also been looking for a middle aged lady bun for Bobo to adopt - we have only ever adopted privately when we've heard of a bun that need help or came across one by accident or had one turn up on our doorstep - so I have never had a home check - so your thread has been very useful for me as well - thank you :thumb:

I need to convince hubby that we need 10 rabbits - and we also need to find somewhere that will do the bonding - so that Bobo can choose his own wife and come home with her (we don't have the space to keep them separate)...it's hard!

So, I'm just wondering really, do some rescues prefer buns to be housed outdoors, or have i just yet to come across any buns that prefer it themselves? Some of the few indoors buns I've seen its been recommended that they are kept single. Or could most buns potentially adjust to being indoor buns given the chance?

I think it very much depends on the rabbit. I've got a few here who I think would just love to be house rabbits, I've got others who either don't seem to like it or are not very well suited because they are very destructive, for instance. When I advertise on rabbit rehome I tend to specify what I want for outdoor space, but it would really be the equivalent in sizing for indoor - although I guess there are more permutations on how that can be achieved with indoor bunnies. Two of the indoor homes I've rehomed to in the past couple of years each have a specific 'bunny room', while two others have completely bunny-proofed houses or downstairs and the bunnies have their own 'den' areas but are free to potter as they wish. It's really dependent on the circumstances and on the individual rabbits. Some more timid ones would probably not enjoy being free range in a house with occupants (would also depend on the age of occupants/children etc and any other animals) but others will love the additional opportunity for attention and interaction that it gives.

Thank you for your reply Santa :)

I have seen some that are put up as 'indoor buns', but not many. At least with those I would know that they are suited to living indoors but obviously, as you say, others would probably love it given the chance. We do have quite a busy household, with three children and two dogs, but for half of the day I am the only one here.

My daughters room has become the 'bunny room'. She is almost 12 and very responsible. My youngest is 4 but he doesn't go in there. Dottie was an outdoor bun (but in less than ideal accommodation) but has adjusted so well to being inside. She is a very chilled bun though and not at all destructive thankfully. I have thought about her being a single bun, but I do think she would benefit from the company when we are all busy.

Hope you won't mind me asking Santa, but do you ever reserve buns for a little while, for example like in our case, when a bun has just been spayed and still recovering? I wouldn't want to keep a rescue waiting around, but if the right bun came along we wouldn't want to miss out x

Back