• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Cat litter clarification please

I currently use maegazorb or carefresh for the bunnies' litter tray and I'm thinking of swapping over to cat litter. Just for the sake of convenience really as I'm currently having to wait for online orders to be delivered or it's a trek over to P@h and I should be able to get the cat litter quite easily from the local supermarket.

I remember there is one type that is ok for bunnies and one that isn't so I just want to check I've got it right!

Wood based pellets: ok
clay/clumping (eg catsan): not ok!

TIA :wave:

Wood based cat litter pellets are OK. You can also get some recycled paper pellets which are also OK (and a lot lighter to carry).
Deffo no clumping / mineral or clay based ones - if they are eaten, they could cause problems.

I always get the recycled paper pellets, in the green and white bag! It's for cats and rabbits.

I use the wood pellet cat litter pellets, sometimes I buy the horse bedding equivalent as they are cheaper for a large sack. I like them because they are heavier they don't get flicked and trampled out of the litter trays.

I'm not a big fan of the wood-based pellets, although I've used them in the dim and distant past. Aren't they just compressed sawdust?

The paper pellets are good though. You can also buy Back-2-Nature pellets, which I think are really good.

We use the wood pellet stuff. We have used the paper pellets in the past bu it's a lot more expensive than the wood, which we've never had any issue with.

The 'cat-only' Breeder Celect paper pellets are identical but cheaper than the Back2Nature ones :D They're by the same company, they have the same bag top (about reducing your carbon paw-print) and so they probably come out of the same batch-process! Because they're marketed only for cats they make them a few quid cheaper :thumb:

The 'cat-only' Breeder Celect paper pellets are identical but cheaper than the Back2Nature ones :D They're by the same company, they have the same bag top (about reducing your carbon paw-print) and so they probably come out of the same batch-process! Because they're marketed only for cats they make them a few quid cheaper :thumb:

Looks pretty much the same price to me.

https://fetch.co.uk/breeder-celect-paper-cat-litter-30l-201866011?gclid=CNDD1Mysq9ACFQ06Gwody4sJTw

http://www.vetuk.co.uk/rabbit-suppl...-small-animal-paper-bedding-and-litter-p-5363

Thanks for the advice guys, really appreciate it! I like the idea of the recycled paper one (same as megazorb and carefresh if I'm not mistaken) so I'll try and get hold of some of that. Mine don't really dig out their litter tray so I don't think I need to worry too much about needing to get a heavier one.

Looks pretty much the same price to me.
Ah, in P@H (and other stores I am led to believe) it's about £2 cheaper per 30L for the 'cat' one! They do the 25L Back2Nature cheaper than the 30L BreederCelect but it works out cheaper to get the 30L one :thumb: :)

Back