• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Not eating!

AlexandraLT

Warren Scout
Hello,
My rabbit has decided to stop eating! Been here before after a neuter on my other rabbit and not a place I want to be in again!
I have moved her from her original hutch to a hutch inside a shed to try to protect her from the weather so I don't know whether she's stressed from the move.
I have managed to get her to eat 2 small bits of cucumber. And 2 leaves of spinach (I'm getting desperate). Is it right that they shouldn't have too much spinach?
I took her to the vets today who said she looks in good health but she does have a tiny little sore patch in her mouth so gave her an antibiotic injection and a painkiller injection.
There hasn't really be much improvement. She has nibbled at some more spinach since we've been home.
I did have a gut treatment that I had to give my other bun when he went through the same (forgotten what it's called) and metacam.
Just wondering whether I should be using these to try to help a little?
Or any help is greatly appreciated.
Thanks for reading :)

Did the vet thoroughly check her teeth?? Could spurs on her teeth have caused the sore patch? If so, she probably needs a dental... did the vet not mention that? Do you think your vet is rabbit savvy? If you are not sure, maybe start a new thread stating where you are, and asking for vet recommendations... sorry for all the questions and the brief response, I just don't have much time right now xx

My thoughts would be along the same lines as ripminnie's. If she has a sore patch in her mouth, it's very likely been caused by a dental problem.

It's not really a problem to give her lots of spinach atm. It's better that she's eating something to keep her digestive system working. Try to tempt her with anything that she will eat.

If you can make sure she's eating a small amount at the moment, I would take her back to the vet (or another vet if you're not confident that this one is rabbit savvy) early tomorrow. She may need gut stimulants and I would also be wanting them to try to examine her teeth. If she stops eating completely then I think you should consider taking her back to a vet tonight.

It's best not to use medication that was prescribed for your other rabbit. Indeed if she has had a painkilling injection that should last her 24 hours and so giving more Metacam would not be advisable.

Sending lots of vibes for her.

Thank you.

He checked them the best he could. However did say it was really hard to see in her mouth without anaesthetising her. As she is not the youngest bun at 5/6 this obvs has some other issues.. if it's definitely due to this then obviously there is nothing to lose.
He said that it's kind of 50:50 to whether or not he will find something dentally.
I have also been force feeding her so not sure whether I could of caused this sore patch myself.
He said I have to take her back to the vets if no improvement is made with the injections and she will be anaesthetised and investigated further.

Thank you.

He checked them the best he could. However did say it was really hard to see in her mouth without anaesthetising her. As she is not the youngest bun at 5/6 this obvs has some other issues.. if it's definitely due to this then obviously there is nothing to lose.
He said that it's kind of 50:50 to whether or not he will find something dentally.
I have also been force feeding her so not sure whether I could of caused this sore patch myself.
He said I have to take her back to the vets if no improvement is made with the injections and she will be anaesthetised and investigated further.

Hi Alexandra :wave:

I am very surprised that your vet didn't give you some gut motility drugs to take home to administer for a few days? May I ask how happy you are with your vet's knowledge of rabbits? (Apologies if they are really good - I had to ask!)

Teeth are very difficult to see without either a GA or a vet who does 'conscious dentals' (not requiring GA). The most important thing for the moment is to make sure she is eating, or syringe her, and that she is hydrated.

Lastly - has she pooed at all? :)

Thank you.

I agree with ripminnie and Omi's advice that if the sore patch is due to Dental problems it is unlikely to get better without treatment. Your Bun is certainly not old, I have had Rabbits aged 11+ undergo Dental treatment under GA, which is the only way to fully address a Dental problem.

Personally I would take your Rabbit back to a Rabbit Savvy Vet today unless she has completely recovered xx

Bun is pooing and weeing but still doesn't appear to be eating that much. Poos are reduced in size though.
However got her out and she seems completely fine and she chewed up some paper.
If it wasn't for the not eating I wouldn't be at all concerned.
I have decided to move her back to her original hutch outside which hopefully may improve her. However it looks like we are prob heading back to the vet.

Rabbits crave fibre when their stomachs are slowing down and eating paper is a classic sign. Was she playing or did she actually eat it? I know Doughnut used to crave the lining paper when she was going downhill.

Bun is pooing and weeing but still doesn't appear to be eating that much. Poos are reduced in size though.
I have decided to move her back to her original hutch outside which hopefully may improve her. However it looks like we are prob heading back to the vet.

The not eating is very serious, you need to take her to see a better vet by the sounds of things... I hope you manage to get help for her x

Yes I think a vet visit may well help her a lot to begin eating again.

Good luck with that :D

Hi Alexandra .. I asked in my first post here whether you were happy about your vet's level of knowledge of rabbits. If you think you'd like to find out about more vets in your area, just being a new thread here, with the header "Rabbit savvy vet needed in (your location)" and our members will give their recommendations.

Just a thought :D

Hello,
Sorry I've been useless with the updates.
Munchies has been eating a little bit. Not enough. But a bit and is drinking water, again not her normal amount (normally drinks loads).
She is off back to the vets today for a check over and to anaesthetise her if needed. (I think it will be needed.)
But keeping my fingers crossed everything is okay.
This kind of thing makes me nervous!

Best of luck at the vet today. Hope Munchies recovers well from the anesthetic and is soon eating and drinking happily.

My Mottle (tri coloured lop rip) used to relish brambles esp. after a vet trip. All my rabbits love them in fact. Fresh herbs also go down well.

Just another update. Munch had to have a dental today and has come out the other end now. She still seems very quiet and sleepy now and Is not interested in food yet at all ( even less than before 😂)
Just hoping for a speedy recovery now and hoping we don't need another vet visit over the weekend.

Back