• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Bumps on ear

Bulibby

New Kit
When I was stroking Pippa yesterday I noticed just at the base of her right ear there was a bump I thought it was maybe just a part of her ear but I felt the other and it wasn't on the other ear. She doesn't like me touching her unless there's food then she lets me touch her a little but yesterday she was letting me stroke her left ear but not the right as if she was in pain. There it also a hard lump near the top of her ear but it seems more like a hard bit of skin and the hair is sticking out. I thought maybe the bump near the top of the ear could be dirt or something she hasn't cleaned properly but that doesn't feel right.
Does anyone know what this could be?

When I was stroking Pippa yesterday I noticed just at the base of her right ear there was a bump I thought it was maybe just a part of her ear but I felt the other and it wasn't on the other ear. She doesn't like me touching her unless there's food then she lets me touch her a little but yesterday she was letting me stroke her left ear but not the right as if she was in pain. There it also a hard lump near the top of her ear but it seems more like a hard bit of skin and the hair is sticking out. I thought maybe the bump near the top of the ear could be dirt or something she hasn't cleaned properly but that doesn't feel right.

If the bump is at the ear base this can sometimes be indicative of an abscess.

*WARNING YUCKY ABSCESS IMAGES ON THIS LINK*

https://www.facebook.com/permalink....56616755&id=1521579548115486&substory_index=0

I would take her to the Vet today as the sooner any problem is identified and treated the better. Good luck xx

Hi Bulibby

Sorry to hear about Pippa.

I should get a vet consult about this, as it *may* be an indication of an abscess at the very base of her ear. It could of course be something else, but if you want to read up on it, there's a link here with no nasty images :)

http://rabbit.org/abcesses-in-rabbits/

Please try not to worry until you've seen the vet. Are you happy he/she is rabbit savvy? :wave:

Back