• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

My bun used to shed fur 2 times per year, just now he's doing his 3rd shed, how come?

Happy Hopping

Wise Old Thumper
My 2 buns used to shed fur in Aug. and in January of each year. Just this morning, I notice 1 of them seems to have lick some fur in his stomach, but just a little bit.

So I brush his fur, and a lot of the fur come out, in short, I brush it in 6 times, and the brush packed w/ his fur each time.

Why does my bun shed this extra time in Nov.? He's an inside bun, and hasn't gone outside to the backyard since mid Oct.

The weather now is quite warm, I can wear a t-shirt outside. Could the warm weather has anything to do w/ it?

Or do they shed more times when they age? He's about 8 to 9 yr. old

I know a rabbit can shed up to 6 times per yr., but that's just a story I heard

I'm not sure if it could be age related, maybe someone else might be able to shed some light on it :thumb:

Sonic is STILL finishing his summer moult, I am just presuming it's to do with the seasonably warm autumn we've had. I'd be interested to know what other people think though :)

My Blossom (5yr) is molting like mad at the moment but she does have the most amazing thick coat coming through. On the other hand Lulu and Leo (both 1yr) are only molting slightly they too have a lovely thick coat each. Perhaps they know something we don't!!! Time to get out the warmer winter clothes I think!!

but their purpose of shedding fur is:

expecting warmer weather

or expecting colder weather

and how can an indoor rabbit notice what's coming?

Mine seem to molt on and off all year. Alexandra (outdoor) now has a lovely thick winter coat but is still molting, Nicholas (Inside) is getting a summer coat because the central heating is on.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

mabel was in moult about 3times a year she was indoors to, I think central heating or other factors many bunnies, unless room is kept in stable temperature, rather then from having heating on red hot house, then off and your all wrapped up in bed and rabbits not

well, in November, the central heating is on quite often. But central heating only keep the temperature of the house at 20 deg. C

so why would central heating make them shed fur?

Back