• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Rabbit stopped eating, advice please

Theo

Warren Scout
Hi all, I have just got home to my rabbits (live indoors) and my mum has been looking after them today and left me a note to say the female didn't want any supper (broccoli and carrot). She's hopping around but refusing food. Her bum is clean but she has a bit of urine around the area and keeps "squatting". Does it sound like a urine infection? She'll be straight to the vets in the morning if she shows no improvement.

Do you know how long it is since she ate? Not eating is a medical emergency and I wouldn't actually wait until morning as your bun may need pain relief and gut stimulant ASAP. We've had this a few times with one of ours and we've always taken them to the vet as soon as they've refused food.

She would've had pellets at around 6pm but not supper at 9.30ish. I've managed to get her to eat half a scoop of Pro-Fibre pellets and she's eating some pellets now...slightly relieved she's eating! Will keep an eye on her.

Do you know how long it is since she ate? Not eating is a medical emergency and I wouldn't actually wait until morning as your bun may need pain relief and gut stimulant ASAP. We've had this a few times with one of ours and we've always taken them to the vet as soon as they've refused food.

yes. I agree. dont wait

She would've had pellets at around 6pm but not supper at 9.30ish. I've managed to get her to eat half a scoop of Pro-Fibre pellets and she's eating some pellets now...slightly relieved she's eating! Will keep an eye on her.

I hope she continues to eat - is she pooing or is it impossible to know?

I'm sure you know that not eating usually doesn't get better without intervention of some sort (either vet prescribed medication/fluids or Infacol and tummy rubs)

http://anyflip.com/dvpt/hzvv/basic

Good luck, I hope all goes well xx

Hi all, I have just got home to my rabbits (live indoors) and my mum has been looking after them today and left me a note to say the female didn't want any supper (broccoli and carrot). She's hopping around but refusing food. Her bum is clean but she has a bit of urine around the area and keeps "squatting". Does it sound like a urine infection? She'll be straight to the vets in the morning if she shows no improvement.

How's Bunny doing this morning ?

I woke a few times in the night and gave her some food which she's eaten and she's now in the hay box munching. Seems brighter too. Can't tell if she has poo'd but I'll keep an eye out!

She's eating her veggies this morning. Still going to take her to the vets to get checked over. Fingers crossed!

She's been to the vets they couldn't find anything wrong. Bladder felt empty and wasn't causing any signs of pain when the vets was having a feel. I've changed the litter again so I'm watching like a hawk to check that she's pooing :lol: she's clean underneath and vet said she couldn't feel any build up etc so just got to keep an eye on her. She had a lovely pedicure while she was there too!

She's been to the vets they couldn't find anything wrong. Bladder felt empty and wasn't causing any signs of pain when the vets was having a feel. I've changed the litter again so I'm watching like a hawk to check that she's pooing :lol: she's clean underneath and vet said she couldn't feel any build up etc so just got to keep an eye on her. She had a lovely pedicure while she was there too!

I'm so glad she had a clean bill of health :D

What a bonus - a free pedicure! Can I come next time? :lol:

Good news that all seems to be OK :)

Back