• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Urgent, anyone who injects their bunnies?!

ripminnie

Wise Old Thumper
I have just done Daisy's metacam injection and it bled! I have been doing it almost 2 weeks now and this hasn't happened before :( obviously i must have gone in at the wrong angle today. I feel awful, although she doesn't seem bothered. But is it dangerous if it's gone into her blood instead of under the skin?? I'm panicking a bit :(

Sorry, I really don't know. It's never happened to me. I would say it's probably OK, but I'm sure someone else will be able to say definitively.

How much is it bleeding? Just a little spot? It's entirely possible that you've hit a blood vessel with the needle on the way through, but not necessarily injected straight into the bloodstream. Do you pull the plunger back gently once you've put the needle in but before you push the medicine in? I was taught to do this first, so that you can check that you're definitely under the skin but not in a blood vessel - if you're in the right place there will be a vacuum and the plunger will just pull back to where it first was. In all the years I've been injecting I have once pulled blood back when doing this, and I bet I couldn't do it again if I tried. If you're worried, you could ring the emergency vet for advice, although I'm not sure there's a lot they'll be able to do anyway and if she seems ok I'm sure she'll be just fine.

How much is it bleeding? Just a little spot? It's entirely possible that you've hit a blood vessel with the needle on the way through, but not necessarily injected straight into the bloodstream. Do you pull the plunger back gently once you've put the needle in but before you push the medicine in? I was taught to do this first, so that you can check that you're definitely under the skin but not in a blood vessel - if you're in the right place there will be a vacuum and the plunger will just pull back to where it first was. In all the years I've been injecting I have once pulled blood back when doing this, and I bet I couldn't do it again if I tried. If you're worried, you could ring the emergency vet for advice, although I'm not sure there's a lot they'll be able to do anyway and if she seems ok I'm sure she'll be just fine.

Thanks for your post, Daisy is white so it probably looks worse than it is. It isn't bleeding any more, it was a few drops, I would say.. I didn't know about pulling the needle back :( think I was getting a bit cocky about being able to do it so easily.. tomorrow I will be back to being a nervous wreck!! :( will she have got the full dose do you think??

I have just done Daisy's metacam injection and it bled! I have been doing it almost 2 weeks now and this hasn't happened before :( obviously i must have gone in at the wrong angle today. I feel awful, although she doesn't seem bothered. But is it dangerous if it's gone into her blood instead of under the skin?? I'm panicking a bit :(

You could always ring the vet for reassurance, but what you've described happens now and again and isn't usually a problem. I wouldn't inject any more this evening but wait for her next dose :)

You could always ring the vet for reassurance, but what you've described happens now and again and isn't usually a problem. I wouldn't inject any more this evening but wait for her next dose :)

Thanks, I feel a bit calmer now!! Daisy wasn't bothered in the slightest, but I pooped myself!! I hope she has got her metacam dose, or she'll suffer :(

We had this with Hiro once and we really panicked. We rang our vets and they just said that it happens sometimes. It won't do any harm to ask your vet but I wouldn't worry too much :)xxxx

Thanks, I feel a bit calmer now!! Daisy wasn't bothered in the slightest, but I pooped myself!! I hope she has got her metacam dose, or she'll suffer :(
She would have gotten the dose, it's fine.
It can be administered directly into the blood stream so no need to worry there either.

It sometimes happens where you hit a blood vessel. I done this once in practice and panicked as it was a drug that can't be given intravenously. (Ideally it's subcutaneous though)

When you next inject tomorrow, just pull he plunger back slightly before pushing the plunger down to administer the drug. If you get a lot of air, you've gone through the skin. If you get blood you've gone into a vein. If you're in the right place the plunger will pull itself back to starting position before you inject.

:)

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

We had this with Hiro once and we really panicked. We rang our vets and they just said that it happens sometimes. It won't do any harm to ask your vet but I wouldn't worry too much :)xxxx

She would have gotten the dose, it's fine.
It can be administered directly into the blood stream so no need to worry there either.

It sometimes happens where you hit a blood vessel. I done this once in practice and panicked as it was a drug that can't be given intravenously. (Ideally it's subcutaneous though)

When you next inject tomorrow, just pull he plunger back slightly before pushing the plunger down to administer the drug. If you get a lot of air, you've gone through the skin. If you get blood you've gone into a vein. If you're in the right place the plunger will pull itself back to starting position before you inject.

:)

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

Thanks guys :)

I did this to Mimzy when I used to give him sub q's and it knocked my confidence. I've never been able to use a needle properly on an animal since. I think in his case I'd just injected the same site so many times it was thin skin by then. But don't let it faze you. If Daisy is soldiering on, it sounds like it's no harm done. :D xxxx

I did this to Molly recently and it freaked me out, but she was completely fine. Molly's on daily penicillin injections for pasteurella so we've had plenty of time to find a knack with injecting; I really struggled at first and found that we were blunting the needle when we pulled up the penicillin from the bottle, as the needle went through the rubber bung. I don't know if drawing up metacam works in a similar way? If so, try reserving one needle for drawing up and use a fresh one for the injection. Since hubs and I have started doing things that way, we (touch wood) haven't had a single episode and each injection is very quick to do, meaning less stress for Molly and less stress for us. Good luck!

Makes me feel faint just reading about it!

I felt like I'd injected into Matt's muscle once when giving one of his penicillin injections. I panicked alot! X

Back