• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Rabbits Vs. Guinea Pigs

anaveragemuppet

Wise Old Thumper
Which makes a better pet for a household with small children (who wouldn't be allowed to pick them up or handle them on their own) and why? I'm so animal broody. I love both rabbits and guinea pigs, but can't make my mind up to what I want out the two. I couldn't have both as we've only got room for one set up. This won't be until the summer time probably and I need to have a permanent job first, but, I'll leave this thread here so you lovely lot can help me decide. Xxx

Which makes a better pet for a household with small children (who wouldn't be allowed to pick them up or handle them on their own) and why? I'm so animal broody. I love both rabbits and guinea pigs, but can't make my mind up to what I want out the two. I couldn't have both as we've only got room for one set up. This won't be until the summer time probably and I need to have a permanent job first, but, I'll leave this thread here so you lovely lot can help me decide. Xxx

I'd say GPs :)

Guinea pigs. and we have quite a few looking for homes!
They can live happily in a smaller area that bunnies, easier to pick up and rarely bite. If they wriggle their nails can scratch but nowhere near as badly as a struggling rabbit.
They do need cleaning out often as are messy, but don't need vacs.
Most will sit happily on a towel on a small childs lap if there is a pile fo veg there :)

I would say piggies too. They deal with being picked up a little better than buns. Also buns with their hormones etc before neutering can make a narky bun. I know you say the pet won't be handled by kids alone but in any case I think piggies are a little easier to stop from this happening as whilst they need plenty of space, buns do tend to need a bit more (specially with you saying only room for one set up, I'm assuming indoors, whereas a bun would need lots of free range time) xx

I still find it amusing, and I'm 24 :D I like to set them off, on purpose, much to OH's dismay :lol:

I'd say piggies as well.

They need less space, kids love their chattering and they like to sit still for cuddles so kiddies can sit on the sofa and have a piggy put on their laps.

I have also always found piggies much easier to provide a good home and there are less health worries with them! Plus sooooo much easier to bond piggies!

I also find piggie wheeks amusing. I once carried a huge carrier bag full of cut grass into a barn with about 30 guinea pigs in. The resulting noise had me grinning all day!

I would say piggies :D

They make lots of fun noises and are very entertaining and happy. Though they do wee and poo most everywhere :lol:

Another vote for piggies.
They don't require as much space (they still need room but not as much as a bun).
Don't need vaccines, don't have to be neutered (it won't effect behaviour but can have some health benefits).
Easier diet as they don't stop eating (Unless very ill).

Once you get hold of them, they tend to just sit there and once they get their confidence they talk to you (well, shout and scream at you). Easier to keep in pairs I've found (you can easily have two males together).

My sister has three boars all indoors for her two kids, they always had a hamster but it bites so much etc hat it never gets attention from the kids. They much prefer their cheeky GPs.

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

Another vote for guineapigs from me too. For all the reasons listed above by everyone else, the only down side is they wee and poop everywhere and I do mean everywhere....

A vote for piggies from me too. My daughter has five Honeypigs. They are so entertaining with their wheeking and popcorning. I think children would be able to relate to them more than bunnies.

I do wish they could be litter trained though...............

Having both I'd definitely say piggies. I adore my piggies - they're such fun and it's lovely having them indoors where they can talk to you every time you go to the fridge.

Even though I personally prefer rabbits myself, I would say guinea pigs. I've had them in the past and they are wonderful little animals. So personable and chubby. They seem to enjoy/tolerate handling better than rabbits. I've always liked how they will just chill with you. I would definitely say they would be better in a home with children.

Piggies, although my heart will always be with rabbits.

Piggies don't need as much space, they don't need space to really get up speed to run and binky, they are easier to handle and very amusing to watch!

Downside is the amount of wee they manage to produce and deposit wherever they wish!

Back