• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Ok help please...

Joanne3146

Young Bun
I have four boys, two neutered the other two are too small... now one is humping the others face all the time and is causing scraps!! He's not big enough to be neutered what do I do???

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I didn't realise 2 were neutered, sorry I must have missed it. There is really only one thing you can do, will have to do, and that is separate him from the others. We all have to do the same with boys usually.

Of course they'll still scrap, just mean the humping will neutering stop humping?
He's doing it to the smallest one whose not been done yet.. and the oldest one who has been done keeps going for the smallest one which he's never done he usually protects him!
Really ****** off at pets at home for not telling us not to have four boys :(

Neutering does calm certain behaviour including humping - I don't have boys together so not much help I'm afraid. It's a dominance thing.

I think you just need to separate them now until they have all been neutered and then wait 6 weeks before trying to re-introduce. Hopefully they will re-bond, but of course it's not guaranteed. It will be much easier to re-bond though if they haven't fought before, so it's really best to separate before any serious fighting happens.

I don't think they need female companionship. It may be the case that if they won't re-bond as a quad then you could have two single pairs. It's impossible to tell though until after they've all been neutered.

At about 12 weeks old I had to separate my group of 3 brothers. When those hormones come in they get excessively humpy, and as a result this usually ends up irritating the other buns on the receiving end of it, and fights result. Neutering does damp this down a lot, which in turn helps lessen fighting issues since it then only becomes about dominance and not hormones. Of course there will always be a small amount of dominance humping, but that is usually for short amounts of time and not very often, especially once they have been bonded. It's the excessive hormonal humping that leads to the most problems, as those boys just don't let up once those hormones are raging. Keep in mind that even post neuter it usually takes 3-4 weeks til the hormones have faded enough not to continue to cause problems, so rebonding may need to wait until then.

Now my neutered boys hardly ever hump each other, just once in a while when something riles them up, then it's usually over within a minute and they are back to grooming and snuggling each other.

They're really going at it now [emoji85] both ones that haven't been neutered are doing it but the other two aren't but are receiving it [emoji849]

There's also an orange stain on the carpet and on the small bed they've got... I'm now worried Eddie is a girl and she's in season or they've been hurt/got an infection etc

Ok it was a small stain I saw, then I took the inner out to wash it and found a lot more

d75cf956cda3a7c18a5422408a3e3377.jpg
3130726a83987c7c4c23de948fa27848.jpg
ba1567eb7805e92f200ccae5e593d04d.jpg

Defo vets tomorrow!!! Checked their bums and two seem to have a little orange mark there but not enough to suggest which one it was

Try not to panic too much about the orange stain, it sounds like it may well just be urine. Their wee can get go quite an orange/red colour. If it's on the carpet rather than in the litter tray then it might again just be a hormonal thing as unneutered rabbits can have a tendency to pee and poop everywhere.

Last edited:
8cc55b2a4834acf5eaa9d4177ab5ea2e.jpg

Was only a small amount on the carpet there's about four of these little patches but the pillow was saturated

Their wee can go quite an alarmingly bright colour. I understand this is mainly due to diet, especially if they eat a lot of dandelions. I don't think the colour itself is something you should worry about too much. Unfortunately some buns do develop a fondness for peeing on soft furnishings like cushions which is probably why it's so saturated, especially if they've been making repeat visits. Again this is a behaviour that neutering can fix although it's not 100% guaranteed. I recall reading a few threads on here from members whose bunnies will stubbornly insist on peeing on sofas, beds, blankets etc.

They're really going at it now [emoji85] both ones that haven't been neutered are doing it but the other two aren't but are receiving it [emoji849]

There's also an orange stain on the carpet and on the small bed they've got... I'm now worried Eddie is a girl and she's in season or they've been hurt/got an infection etc

All this looks perfectly normal, with the urine stains, and the orange colour etc ... Bucks (whether neutered or not) will often spray and urinate to assert dominance. It happens more frequently in boy pairings, but can also happen with male/female in the early stages of bonding. They may also urinate on one another.

If they are fighting you must separate or they may do serious harm to one another. You can try reintroducing, but a group bigger than two is difficult, and with boys moreso. But not necessarily impossible.

The hormones after neutering take about 12 weeks to settle, so ideally wait that long before reintroducing.

Good luck. Sounds like you have your hands full!

Thanks everyone! If there's any scrapping we separate for sure, I'm not risking them getting hurt
So the orange is nothing to worry about?? They've had just hay and nuggets this week.. they don't eat vegetables at all we've tried everything to get them to eat it!

The orange looks like urine to me. With all that's going on probably the last thing they're thinking about is how to wee in the right place!

Just picking up on something else you mentioned in an earlier thread about one of them possibly being a girl, this could obviously be the case, but rabbits do not have "seasons", so the orange stain is not connected to that. Would be wise I think to have the four of them vet checked, for sexing and also for possible wounds. I would also discuss when to neuter the remaining two.

Then I would separate them for now.

Sending hugs. All this must be very stressful for you.

Back