• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Help! Misty has lost her appetite and had had diareah!

Mia13415619

Young Bun
Misty had been fine yesterday, and we fed her more in the evening because she was skinny. She lost her appetite this morning and didn't bother to come say hello when she normally always does. Shes only one and shes started having diareah. She used to live with bud, who was also one but they got separated as they fought. Unfortanatley on Sunday night Bud passed away. We have an appointment for vaccinations tonight for Misty so I will ask the vet then. Is this a problem now? Should I take her emergency? Please it's urgent!!

If I were you I would try to get an urgent appointment with your vet for Misty. I would not want to wait until this evening and as she is unwell your vet would not want to give her the vaccination anyway.

It is possible that by giving her lots of food yesterday evening you have upset her digestive system, but without knowing the details of what you have fed compared to her normal ration it's difficult to say.

It's an emergency, as I'm sure you know, if a rabbit stops eating and so I would want her examined on that basis alone. But coupled with the fact that she has had diarrhoea I would want her seen urgently.

I hope you get on OK with her at the vets and sending vibes for Misty.

Shes been eating some grass, and shes had some pepper. But it's not as much as usual. She seems to her usual self but I don't want to risk it after loosing Buddy on sunday.

Thankyou for the help.

Misty had been fine yesterday, and we fed her more in the evening because she was skinny. She lost her appetite this morning and didn't bother to come say hello when she normally always does. Shes only one and shes started having diareah. She used to live with bud, who was also one but they got separated as they fought. Unfortanatley on Sunday night Bud passed away. We have an appointment for vaccinations tonight for Misty so I will ask the vet then. Is this a problem now? Should I take her emergency? Please it's urgent!!

Hi Mia

I am sorry you have this worry with Misty.

Is it true diarrhoea? That is rare in rabbits ... Check here:

http://www.medirabbit.com/EN/GI_diseases/Generalities/Enteritis_en.htm

Sometimes if you feed more, it produces more of the soft poos, or cecotropes. However, if she has diarrhoea then it's important she is seen by a vet soon. Especially if she is stopping eating so much.

Good luck xx

Thankyou. She was supposed to have vaccinations today but I've cancelled the appointement and brang it forward to 3:50pm for a check-up. Its getting more solid now but before it was really bad so I gave her lots of water. She seems to be enjoying the newspaper for some odd reason and she's eating grass and hay mostly. Thankyou for your concern and help. I'm starting to wonder if its due to stress as Bud died so recently. Once again thanks for all the support. :)

Thankyou. She was supposed to have vaccinations today but I've cancelled the appointement and brang it forward to 3:50pm for a check-up. Its getting more solid now but before it was really bad so I gave her lots of water. She seems to be enjoying the newspaper for some odd reason and she's eating grass and hay mostly. Thankyou for your concern and help. I'm starting to wonder if its due to stress as Bud died so recently. Once again thanks for all the support. :)

I was thinking also that the stress wouldn't have helped. Good luck for this afternoon xx

Back