• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Help! My rabbit can't move

SAlistair

New Kit
My rabbit Smokey was fine until a few weeks ago.. she had this habit of jumping onto chairs and settling down for a nap. She slipped and fell off a chair one day. My dad saw her fall, and said that she lay on her side for a bit and then hopped off. A few days later, she seemed to have difficulty walking. She kept leaning on the door of her cage for support, so i took her to the vet. He did an x ray and said she has broken her tail and could have injured her spine as well. Smokey is about 7 years old. The vet says she is really old and he can't do anything for her.
I don't know if it was something to do with him being rough with Smokey while he examined her, but the day after i took her to him she could barely move and now she is pretty much immobile.
Where I live, vets who know how to treat rabbits are not available, and i certainly don't want to take her to the same vet again. She seems to be in pain when she's in certain positions, but she is eating normally. Can anyone give me advice on how I can help her?

She needs to see a good rabbit vet but you say there are none. Can you get some pain relief from your vet for now until you decide what's best. Obviously you can't keep her in pain and if there is no hope of having her properly treated then you would have to have her put to sleep. Please be very gentle with her as touching her spine could be very painful.

Hi, welcome to the forum. I'm so sorry Smokey is poorly. 7 is not really old for a bunny nowadays, they can get to 10 years or sometimes more. You really must find a rabbit savvy vet. Your bunny is in pain and needs help.. Someone will come along here and help you out with advice. Good luck. xxxx

My rabbit Smokey was fine until a few weeks ago.. she had this habit of jumping onto chairs and settling down for a nap. She slipped and fell off a chair one day. My dad saw her fall, and said that she lay on her side for a bit and then hopped off. A few days later, she seemed to have difficulty walking. She kept leaning on the door of her cage for support, so i took her to the vet. He did an x ray and said she has broken her tail and could have injured her spine as well. Smokey is about 7 years old. The vet says she is really old and he can't do anything for her.
I don't know if it was something to do with him being rough with Smokey while he examined her, but the day after i took her to him she could barely move and now she is pretty much immobile.
Where I live, vets who know how to treat rabbits are not available, and i certainly don't want to take her to the same vet again. She seems to be in pain when she's in certain positions, but she is eating normally. Can anyone give me advice on how I can help her?

Hello

I am afraid there is no option other than to get her to another Vet today. It may be that she has sustained a significant spinal injury causing paralysis. I can understand you not wanting to go back to the Vet that did the Xray, but your Rabbit really does need immediate Veterinary help. It may be that there are no viable treatment options, but your Rabbit is in pain and so there honestly is no option other than to find a Vet to take her to today.

I am very sorry that you are having to deal with such a distressing situation :cry:

Hello

I am afraid there is no option other than to get her to another Vet today. It may be that she has sustained a significant spinal injury causing paralysis. I can understand you not wanting to go back to the Vet that did the Xray, but your Rabbit really does need immediate Veterinary help. It may be that there are no viable treatment options, but your Rabbit is in pain and so there honestly is no option other than to find a Vet to take her to today.

I am very sorry that you are having to deal with such a distressing situation :cry:
[emoji106]

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

Hi there and welcome to the Forum :wave:

Tonibun has already given you some good advice.

I have come across this in a rabbit before and you really need to get Smokey to a vet. Preferably a good vet. Is there another vet within the same practice that you'd be prepared to take her to? Did the vet you saw give any pain relief or advice as to cage rest?

If you'd like to find a good vet in your area, begin another thread with "Rabbit Savvy vet needed urgently in (your location)" and people will step up to help you :)

Good luck to you and Smokey xx

Back