• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Rabbit died, Aged one, found lying outside her bed, Unsure of cause?

Mia13415619

Young Bun
Sadly, my beautiful rabbit passed away sunday night. We would of sent her the vets when we found her, but we couldn't afford to send her away for an autopsy. She had always been playful. She used to live with her friend, but for some reason the other rabbit began to attack her and they were separated. Neither of them were bothered to much from being apart, but I wonder if they fought because the other rabbit knew she was ill. It was bonfire night on friday, so there were many fireworks and I locked her in her bedroom area (That's big) with food and drink for a night. The next day she was at her usual self but at night I didn't lock her in, however the next day she was fine. We moved her hutch to shelter her from the cold and I held her, and she replied by snuggling into my neck as usual. That night it was that she passed away. In the morning I found her stretched out on the floor. she had her mouth open as well as her eyes. I was shocked because I wasn't expecting it. I mean you do when they get older but she was only a one year old. She never went outside much in the cold. She would sit at the top of her ramp and watch the world go by. I'm not saying she was lazy and never moved, because she would do. She would usually drink 3/4 of her (600ml) water bottle, but by the morning and from the day she had hardly drank anything. I do not know why this happened. Thankyou for taking time to read this. Any ideas are welcome. Thanks again.

Sadly, my beautiful rabbit passed away sunday night. We would of sent her the vets when we found her, but we couldn't afford to send her away for an autopsy. She had always been playful. She used to live with her friend, but for some reason the other rabbit began to attack her and they were separated. Neither of them were bothered to much from being apart, but I wonder if they fought because the other rabbit knew she was ill. It was bonfire night on friday, so there were many fireworks and I locked her in her bedroom area (That's big) with food and drink for a night. The next day she was at her usual self but at night I didn't lock her in, however the next day she was fine. We moved her hutch to shelter her from the cold and I held her, and she replied by snuggling into my neck as usual. That night it was that she passed away. In the morning I found her stretched out on the floor. she had her mouth open as well as her eyes. I was shocked because I wasn't expecting it. I mean you do when they get older but she was only a one year old. She never went outside much in the cold. She would sit at the top of her ramp and watch the world go by. I'm not saying she was lazy and never moved, because she would do. She would usually drink 3/4 of her (600ml) water bottle, but by the morning and from the day she had hardly drank anything. I do not know why this happened. Thankyou for taking time to read this. Any ideas are welcome. Thanks again.

Mia welcome to the Forum and I am so sorry to hear about your rabbit. It must have been a terrible shock to find her like that.

It's impossible really for anyone to speculate what may have happened to her. I do appreciate vets are expensive and I understand you couldn't find out what happened to her and that makes it doubly hard.

It sounds like you loved her very much. How is your other rabbit doing?

Thank you. And thank you for replying. When they were fighting I separated misty into a insulated shed and bud went into the hutch. They both seemed to prefer being separated. I didn't show Misty Bud when she died because I didn't want her to stress or catch anything if it was under them circumstances. Misty seems fine, I honestly don't think she knows anything, but i'd rather her think she was just down the other end of the garden than where she is now.

Thank you for welcoming me. And for understanding, times like this it makes me feel a whole lot better just to know that somebody understands. :)

I am sorry for your loss :cry: There are several possible reasons for a 'sudden death' but I dont think making a list of them will be helpful to you now. I realise that it can be difficult to fund Veterinary expenses, but if at all possible I would get a Vet to check Misty over. At least then you will know that you have done all you can to ensure that she is OK.

RIP Bud xx

Thank you. Yes Rest in Peace Bud. Misty is having her vaccinations tomorrow so I will get them to check her over then. Thank you for the support. :) :(

Thank you. Yes Rest in Peace Bud. Misty is having her vaccinations tomorrow so I will get them to check her over then. Thank you for the support. :) :(

The sudden death of a very young Rabbit is especially hard to come to terms with :cry: I really am sorry that you have had to experience such a tragic event :cry:

Thank you. And thank you for replying. When they were fighting I separated misty into a insulated shed and bud went into the hutch. They both seemed to prefer being separated. I didn't show Misty Bud when she died because I didn't want her to stress or catch anything if it was under them circumstances. Misty seems fine, I honestly don't think she knows anything, but i'd rather her think she was just down the other end of the garden than where she is now.

Thank you for welcoming me. And for understanding, times like this it makes me feel a whole lot better just to know that somebody understands. :)

You are very welcome. It's really really hard losing a rabbit :(

I think you did the right thing by Misty and I am glad she is well in herself :)

Sorry for your loss, how tragic. I hope your visit to the vet goes well with Misty.
Welcome to the forum xx

So sorry for your loss. As others have said it is impossible to know what happened. :(

Were they spayed? If not, this would explain why they started fighting.

I hope Misty is OK. X

Back