• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Cold bunny?

benjismum

New Kit
Please help advise me folks. My lovely benji bun is 6 months old. He has a double hutch outside with thermal cover. However he spends lots of time inside the house as he is very sociable and we love having him scampering round. He has a small cage indoors just for the toilet and when he is eating. But we put him outside to sleep and he is outside all day Monday to Friday while we are at work. his thermal cover is always fully zipped round. My worry and its keeping me awake every night, is he warm enough outside the weather here has taken a turn and its very cold and frosty outside. As he spends every evening and all weekend inside will he get confused and cold outside? or will the fact he spends half his life outside mean his coat is prepared? I keep finding conflicting stories. we cant leave him inside at night as his cage is small inside and we don't 100%trust cat with him when we are in bed. PLEASE HELP I am so worried he is cold:cry

I can't say if he's cold or not but by having him indoors a lot I'm not sure his winter coat would grow as thick as if he was outside all the time. Someone with more knowledge than me will hopefully give advice as my bunny is indoors. Could you shut him in one room indoors at night so that cat can't get to him if you're concerned.

I've just bought a heat pad for Doughnut and she loves it and I know a lot of outside bunny have these.

Rabbits usually fare very well in the cold as they grow a thick coat and his hutch sounds nicely covered. Unfortunately though, having a rabbit both inside and then out is not good for their respiratory systems, so you really need to keep him in the same environment. It's ok in the warmer months to let him come inside and then return out to his hutch, but not in the colder weather.

Please help advise me folks. My lovely benji bun is 6 months old. He has a double hutch outside with thermal cover. However he spends lots of time inside the house as he is very sociable and we love having him scampering round. He has a small cage indoors just for the toilet and when he is eating. But we put him outside to sleep and he is outside all day Monday to Friday while we are at work. his thermal cover is always fully zipped round. My worry and its keeping me awake every night, is he warm enough outside the weather here has taken a turn and its very cold and frosty outside. As he spends every evening and all weekend inside will he get confused and cold outside? or will the fact he spends half his life outside mean his coat is prepared? I keep finding conflicting stories. we cant leave him inside at night as his cage is small inside and we don't 100%trust cat with him when we are in bed. PLEASE HELP I am so worried he is cold:cry

He may get chilled if he spends a lot of time in a warm house and then has to go back out to a hutch overnight. Especially as he is a single Rabbit. Can he not be a House Rabbit- ie live indoors all the time ? If not then you'll either have to switch all the central heating off in the house prior to and during the time that he is indoors or you will need to spend a lot of time outdoors with him.

If at all possible I'd try to have him as a House Rabbit. Rabbits are very social animals and personally I could not house a single Rabbit outdoors, regardless of the weather. Hopefully you will come up with a plan that works well for you and for your Rabbit :)

Hi there benjismum and welcome to RU :wave:

Rabbits fare absolutely fine outside. Or inside. And inside and outside *in the summer*

However, when the weather gets cold, as it is now, it compromises their immune systems to have to cope with warmth and then cold. I have actually known - not to scare you as you are genning up on all of this - rabbits to die from the indoors/outdoors thing.

So make a decision for the winter and stick to it :D And keep posting here! :D

Back