• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

The Rabbit Cage

shushubat

New Kit
I was just wondering what kinds of cages everyone uses?

I myself use one I bought on Ebay. It has a plastic liner on bottom, and 2 upper levels. I have often read about rabbits not liking cages with levels, but I find this to be untrue. My rabbit's favorite spot to flip on her back is on one of the ledges. After I had the basic cage put together, I installed 2 large cardboard boxes as hiding places, An easy to refill water bottle, A litter tray, and various toys. I line the bottom of her cage with newspaper, which she loves to shred. Here is a pic of her cage:
http://community.webshots.com/photo/128119803/129604497oQZVnI

Can you post the address for the photo again? Thats the one for editing photos when your logged in so the rest of us can't see it :(

Tam

Nice cage. How big is it?

Only thing I would be aworried about is that ladder. It dosent look very wide.

I use the Ferplast Indoor Cage's but I'm changing shortly to 4ft Dog Crate's. You can see them on eBay. There's much more room in them and you can put shelfs in etc.

Louise

I like the look of the cage you have set up for your bunny, and having different levels for them to explore keeps them stimulated and helps with mobility.

Bunnies just adore being elevated dont they...surveying all around.
Do you let your rabbit out of the cage for a run around too, she looks very pretty and healthy. :D

SAFETY TIP for wired cages...we use plastic sheets that you can buy from Focus, to line the inside of cages where the ramps go up and down, and any other area where the bunny could turn and get a paw of toe caught in the wire.
If you line the cage with plastic inside leave some gaps for air circulation though, but it does makes the cages safer and you have a nice wipeable surface to clean.
You can also hang the plastic sheets on the outside of the cages, does the same thing :D
Just be aware that bunnies can overheat easily so do not entomb them in plastic just dot it strategically about where you think there is a higher risk of bunny getting toes or paws caught.

I like your cage. :)

I'm looking for something with levels but I need something bigger (frenchie)
I've got rabbit run panels from a rabbitrehome link (can't think of the companys name right now) they are great as an outdoor run but I'd like to make some kind of indoor cage with them for when she gets bigger, my other half isn't very handy :roll: and I don't really know where to start.

Anyone else got home made/do it yourself cage? pics? helpful hints?

I have always wanted to do something to make the ladder safer. It isn't too small for her, I just don't like the little gaps for feet to get stuck. I keep her in the shade and she gets about an hour where she can sunbathe on the top level of the cage.

She does get to go outside and run. Not as much as she used to though. I used to have a huge backyard where she could run around and play. I had to rabbit-proof the entire backyard. One time she dug under the fence into the neighbor's yard and I was watching her, wondering how I was going to get her back over...Then something spooked her and she came running back. I love that rabbit personality.

She loves licking people.. She will lick instantly if you rub her sides. She gets loads of vegetables everyday and it really helps her health. I try to balance out her fresh greens so she gets all her nutrients. Her favorite food is prolly oranges. When we lived in a more rural area, I would go out every morning and collect tons of wild dandelions, fruit leaves, grass, and flowers.

She is a little chubby now that she gets less exercise. I was also interested in finding out what people use as indoor cages? The cage Felly uses is stricly outdoor only due to it being almost all wire, and she pushes things onto the floor from the upper levels. I really like the dog carrier idea, if I could put in shelves. Any other ideas or pictures?

This is claude and miffys cage its two ferplasts attached to each other to make a longer cage

1b393cfa6a745c2b284ca444523fe164.JPG

Mine is in a ferplast indoor cage like the one yours are in.. only he only has one of them.. At moment i dont have alot more room but when i move i want to get one of those dog cages someone mentioned on ebay. They look alot better.
Chris

I have got different ones. One was custom made and started off as a two level cage. I have now turned it into two cages by using a solid platform. Here is the picture:

RabbitCage2000.jpg

This cage is 5' long, 2 1/2' wide and 2' high (picture taken before the conversion). Downstairs is for Benji and Pippa and upstairs houses Sunny. (Forgive me for the strange creature in the top picture - it is supposed to show the size of the cage... :oops: ).

Then I put three dog crates together (taking the sides out) which houses Apollo and Charlie. This is 5 1/2' long, almost 3' wide and 2' high.

Angel is currently in a 3 1/2' x 2' x 2' dog crate but will hopefully move in with Sunny soon.

Vera

the thing i like about the idea of the dog carriers is that they are mostly plastic, so the rabbit couldn't make a mess while it was in the carrier.
I would recommend always buying rabbit cages over Ebay. They are way too expensive in stores. I saw a small hutch for sell recently that was over $400. It was a very nice hutch, but I bet it only cost $50 to make. I bought my rabbit cage on Ebay for $40. It's bigger than most hutches, has multiple levels, and cost only a fraction of the price. Pet Stores need to be shown that they won't make money at their high prices. I visit a LOT of pet shops in my area. I rarely buy anything, but I always look to see who has the best deals, and who treats their animals the best. I prefer getting my feed and supplies at a FEED store rather than a PET store.

Back