• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Hallelujah!

jfitz

New Kit
https://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/94x94q90/c/r/922/qt6qmG.jpg

That photo is my Netherland dwarf - Rhubarb

She had been a stray in the wild for several months when I took her in and while very friendly and confident she did not tolerate being held. No biting but extreme and sustained thrashing.
It has taken 9 months of building up trust but it has finally happened! My bf just picked her up and held her.

Have faith, it can be done! To all those struggling with rabbits who don't like to be held, just be patient and don't force them.

What do you mean stray in the wild? If a domestic rabbit survives that long, this means accommodation = happy free natural life.

It's normal for a rabbit to hate being picked up. In their brains that means grave danger. You know they are pray animals and being in the air would be only in someone's jaws. I mean, it's ok to pet it on the floor :")

Aw, she's a cutie. I'm glad all your trust building has paid off! My boy Dunkin has never liked being picked up in the 8 years he's been with me. I know our relationship is strong because he will give me kisses. Some just never get used to it and we have to accept that. Others are really good about it. My female Mocha is and she was originally picked up as a stray by animal control.

You just have to accept that some buns hate being picked up.Both my bridge buns did,so I never forced them.Only for meds etc then I would just chuck a towel over them and gently scoop them up.

I nearly ran her over because she was in the middle of the road. I took her in because I thought she was an escaped pet! After a couple weeks I found a lady who said she had seen her going in and out her garden for months. So then I let her go to see if she wanted to go back but left the door open and she always came back and followed me round. A vet recommended I keep her for her safety. So I adopted her a friend and she loves him :) I don't pick them up for regularly, it's just good to be able to do it so you can take them to the vet/ put them in a run etc. So I patiently tried it every now and then (sitting on the floor) and never held on if she fought at all. Shes always jumping on to the sofa then in my lap so I tried holding her and she seems to like it now!

Back