• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

I could cry, am fuming U/D post 8 - they're fine!!

Angie B

Wise Old Thumper
We have taken so much care with the rabbits this weekend because of Bonfire Night, bringing them indoors Friday, Saturday and last night.

And now the neighbours are having something done with their central heating, the plumbers are using a drill, on the jack-hammer mode or whatever, literally 3ft from the girls' shed, and they're terrified.

At least one of them will be ill come morning, I know it.

All that care, time and effort, wasted.

I'm fuming. They know we have rabbits, I wish they'd have said. Even the sodding plumber knows we have rabbits as it's the neighbours' son!

The girls have just taken a treat off me, but they're thumping and dashing in and out of the run and shed.

It's pointless bringing them in as I've just spoken to the bloke drilling and he said he's nearly finished, so it'd upset them bringing them in, upset them leaving them out. Devil and deep blue sea. Worst of it is, he saw the bloody run and tunnel, wondered if it was rabbits, guinea pigs or hedgehogs. Why the hell didn't he come round?! Edited to say that my husband's pointed out just because he wondered what animal was in there, doesn't mean to say he knows anything about them and in fact it's not up to the workmen to alert the owners to noise, it's the home owner's responsibility really. But even they may not have realised the din the work would create. However, the one plumber is well-aware, if he's on site that is, I've not exactly looked out for him.

I wonder if it's worth giving them both a dose of metacam at bedtime in an effort to stave off any stomach aches overnight - thoughts please?

I could cry, I really could.

Another edit to say that the drilling has now stopped, as promised. Adrian's gone out to let the girls out of the shed, see if they want to come out for their normal bounce around the garden before tea. Even if they seem fine in themselves, there's nothing to say that they won't go into stasis overnight because of this drilling, like a delayed reaction.

Last edited:
We have taken so much care with the rabbits this weekend because of Bonfire Night, bringing them indoors Friday, Saturday and last night.

And now the neighbours are having something done with their central heating, the plumbers are using a drill, on the jack-hammer mode or whatever, literally 3ft from the girls' shed, and they're terrified.

At least one of them will be ill come morning, I know it.

All that care, time and effort, wasted.

I'm fuming. They know we have rabbits, I wish they'd have said. Even the sodding plumber knows we have rabbits as it's the neighbours' son!

The girls have just taken a treat off me, but they're thumping and dashing in and out of the run and shed.

It's pointless bringing them in as I've just spoken to the bloke drilling and he said he's nearly finished, so it'd upset them bringing them in, upset them leaving them out. Devil and deep blue sea. Worst of it is, he saw the bloody run and tunnel, wondered if it was rabbits, guinea pigs or hedgehogs. Why the hell didn't he come round?! Edited to say that my husband's pointed out just because he wondered what animal was in there, doesn't mean to say he knows anything about them and in fact it's not up to the workmen to alert the owners to noise, it's the home owner's responsibility really. But even they may not have realised the din the work would create. However, the one plumber is well-aware, if he's on site that is, I've not exactly looked out for him.

I wonder if it's worth giving them both a dose of metacam at bedtime in an effort to stave off any stomach aches overnight - thoughts please?

I could cry, I really could.

Another edit to say that the drilling has now stopped, as promised. Adrian's gone out to let the girls out of the shed, see if they want to come out for their normal bounce around the garden before tea. Even if they seem fine in themselves, there's nothing to say that they won't go into stasis overnight because of this drilling, like a delayed reaction.

It's infuriating Angie :evil:

I really hope they will be OK - hugs xx

I think they'll be ok. Mine have had to put up with a lot of noise, all last week and again today as they are redoing the pavements. Also Saturday night we had a lot of bangs (firerworks) and other noises they make, but they have all been fine. Hope yours can have a nice peaceful night and be as normal tomorrow.

Thank you for replying :)

They seemed fine when Adrian let them into the garden, no unusual periscoping or anything like that, just munching the grass and doing what they normally do, which is a good sign at least. They didn't stay out long however because it's darned cold and started to rain, and when they went back in they again were behaving normally, washing, eating and when Adrian left them they were tucking into their tea of pellets, so here's hoping :)

I've decided against giving them any metacam as I think that would stress them out anyway - being caught and force fed that, so I will leave well alone and just treat them as normal and fingers and paws crossed for the morning. I have been going back to bed once the children have left for school (naughty but very nice!) but won't tomorrow so I can get out for 9 and check on them a bit earlier instead.

Thank you daphnephoebe x

I'll come back on tomorrow, let you know how she is. Hopefully, it will be good news :) x

Morning!

Went out to the girls this morning, about 9.30, and Thumper couldn't wait to get out of the shed (normal), swiftly followed by Coco, so they are both happy and healthy this morning, which I am so relieved about!

They enjoyed playing in the garden IN THE SUN!!! for a while, going in and out the shed/run while I tidied it up for them and coming for a treat, before heading back in after about half an hour for their breakfast pinch of muesli, some readigrass and fibafirst (sp?) sticks. I can never remember how to spell fibafirst sticks! So they're fine, phew!

Thank you for your good wishes yesterday, they were much appreciated :) x

The plumbers are due back today but from what we can see they shouldn't need to do any more drilling, so although the rabbits will hear them messing about, it should be relatively quiet for them today.

So glad they are ok. The fireworks haven't bothered Boots, he's quite deaf, the goats don't care so long as they have food but my cat is worn out with it all. they were still going off here last night!

Back