• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Lump on genitals

nessar

Warren Veteran
Our potential new rabbit arrived today. When I checked her over today I saw a lump on her genitals, it doesn't look sore and there are no scabs or discharge. She's completely separate from my bunny and we're observing basic hygiene measures, handwashing, not sharing things etc. She'll be going to the vets, hopefully tomorrow, but in the meantime any ideas on what it could be?

She is an unspayed doe, 8 years old, unvaccinated, no previous health problems and has been alone for the last 6 months. Eyes and nose look good. Diet is currently unlimited rabbit royale and hay, been told she's a good hay eater.

It's not coming out of the vulva, it's next to it, on the side, between the vulva and the scent glands. The white stuff seems to be skin, and I've poked about with a cotton bud and no discharge comes out. The area doesn't seem to be inflamed at all.

Pictures:
At first sight, without parting fur:
D1EE4F2D-5AB1-4362-89FF-D378979B256B_zpsyfrfv10l.jpg

It's easier to see if I press down to make genitals pop out a bit:
C1F52FDE-B54A-4562-AB63-1BF180BD22FF_zpspjdiraps.jpg

Any ideas? I've googled vent disease and myxi but it doesn't look like either. My rabbit is fully vaccinated. Could her scent gland be infected?

Last edited:
Our potential new rabbit arrived today. When I checked her over today I saw a lump on her genitals, it doesn't look sore and there are no scabs or discharge. She's completely separate from my bunny and we're observing basic hygiene measures, handwashing, not sharing things etc. She'll be going to the vets, hopefully tomorrow, but in the meantime any ideas on what it could be?

She is an unspayed doe, 8 years old, unvaccinated, no previous health problems and has been alone for the last 6 months. Eyes and nose look good. Diet is currently unlimited rabbit royale and hay, been told she's a good hay eater.

It's not coming out of the vulva, it's next to it, on the side, between the vulva and the scent glands. The white stuff seems to be skin, and I've poked about with a cotton bud and no discharge comes out. The area doesn't seem to be inflamed at all.

Pictures:
At first sight, without parting fur:
D1EE4F2D-5AB1-4362-89FF-D378979B256B_zpsyfrfv10l.jpg

It's easier to see if I press down to make genitals pop out a bit:
C1F52FDE-B54A-4562-AB63-1BF180BD22FF_zpspjdiraps.jpg

Any ideas? I've googled vent disease and myxi but it doesn't look like either. My rabbit is fully vaccinated. Could her scent gland be infected?

It's hard to say looking at the photos. Is it a hard swelling? Does it look like it's anything to do with her scent glands at all?

It's hard to say looking at the photos. Is it a hard swelling? Does it look like it's anything to do with her scent glands at all?

It seems to be flesh-like kind of texture, not too hard, although I did touch it with a cotton bud not my bare hand. I wonder if maybe it's just a growth/skin tag that's developed because she's an old bunny? The scent gland is very slightly to the right, almost underneath the lump.

It seems to be flesh-like kind of texture, not too hard, although I did touch it with a cotton bud not my bare hand. I wonder if maybe it's just a growth/skin tag that's developed because she's an old bunny? The scent gland is very slightly to the right, almost underneath the lump.

I would've said it could be a wart, but that would possibly be a harder texture than you describe. Perhaps as you say, a minor growth or skin tag, the sort of thing that humans get as they get older.

I will be interested to hear what the vet makes of it :)

Good news!! Our vet reckons it is probably just a cyst. He said it doesn't look angry or seem painful and doesn't seem to be interfering with any bodily functions.

It could have been there for years or weeks, we don't know. So he took pictures and the plan is to monitor it and if there are any changes they can extract some cells under local anaesthetic for analysis. We are reluctant to remove what could be a harmless cyst at this stage as it would involve general anaesthetic and an op right on the genitals. Due to her age we don't feel the benefit outweighs the risk.

And she is surprisingly healthy for her age! Teeth are not perfect but don't have any spurs. He couldn't feel any alarming lumps around the uterus, but did say at her age that some abnormality would be likely. She has been vaccinated, we've got a routine panacur dose for both bunnies and we have been given the go-ahead for bonding, so I am very very happy!

Good news!! Our vet reckons it is probably just a cyst. He said it doesn't look angry or seem painful and doesn't seem to be interfering with any bodily functions.

It could have been there for years or weeks, we don't know. So he took pictures and the plan is to monitor it and if there are any changes they can extract some cells under local anaesthetic for analysis. We are reluctant to remove what could be a harmless cyst at this stage as it would involve general anaesthetic and an op right on the genitals. Due to her age we don't feel the benefit outweighs the risk.

And she is surprisingly healthy for her age! Teeth are not perfect but don't have any spurs. He couldn't feel any alarming lumps around the uterus, but did say at her age that some abnormality would be likely. She has been vaccinated, we've got a routine panacur dose for both bunnies and we have been given the go-ahead for bonding, so I am very very happy!

Fantastic result :D

So reassuring, and also that he inspected her teeth too xx

Fantastic result :D

So reassuring, and also that he inspected her teeth too xx
Yes it couldn't have gone much better!

Yes he's very good, he always weighs them and checks heart beat, breathing, teeth, ears and feels tummies to check gut function at every visit, no matter what it's for.

Back