• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Moving their home to inside?

Hello I am new here.
I have two rabbits two boys called Dexter and Fudge. They were born in July 2016. They are outside in massive hutch in my back garden. I am working a lot at the moment and I am concerned about them when Im working. As u all know it's getting colder, i have been thinking about moving my rabbit to inside so they don't get cold. Sometimes I am not home till 9.45pm and when I am home I put their cover over to keep them warm,it's a concern to me as worried they are going to get cold, they do have y etc but I would really like to move them inside but unsure how to do this and what's the best way to do it.

What do I need to buy and what's the best way? Can I buy them a pen no it that way or how else? I am very short of money so cheapest possible way really. They are medium size rabbits so I don't think I small cage for inside is an option to be honest.

Please help me - becky

If you look at the Housing section, you'll see some very good ideas for indoor housing. As a 'base' for the , you could use a very large dog crate and then attach panels to make a run.

Ps Have you arranged to have them neutered yet - two unneutered boys together will start fighting.

Have anoutside which is rectangke and quite big would this be ok to bring in? I'm worried about the cold. Also what would I need to put in it? X

What are your ideas on the neutering?
Did you look at the indoor housing section? Do you mean a rectangular run? What size is it?
Well, that's a post full of questions!;)

Hey.
Haven't looked into neutering yet as they haven't been fighting. They get on really well. Not sure size but will get picture. Yeah rectangular sorry spelling is bad.

if space allows, you could bring their hutch in for now and then attach a pen to it. eventually you could remove the hutch but it might make the adjustment easier for them initially as it's a familiar item.

they are at the age now where they will start to become hormonal so i'd find a rabbit savvy vet soon and discuss neutering and that way everything will be in place for when one starts! i say this from experience of having two boys myself. bisc matured earlier than matt and they were neutered asap and were able to remain together as weren't able to get to the stage of having a fight. they had a very close relationship afterwards for many many years :love:

eta: my point was that if you wait until fighting then you will need separate housing for them and be trying to arrange finding a vet etc whilst already worrying!

Please don't wait until they fight before neutering. (1) To put it bluntly, rabbit fights are horrendous and they will fight to the death. (2) If they have even just one small fight, their bond may be broken permanently, meaning they may never be able to live together again.

I had two young bucks who were very cuddly and close. They fought just after being neutered. I had put them back together before their hormones died down (takes six weeks post op).

I kept them completely separate for a few weeks then bonded them in a neutral area with two spayed does. They are still all close and cuddly and have been a happy group for three years now.

The indoor housing section is great. Puppy pens are very useful and some kind of base is nice as well. Once they are neutered they will probably do most of their wees in litter trays. Mine have three 32l underbed storage boxes filled with newspaper, straw and hay for their toilet/hay areas.

Back