• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Pixie and Dixie's new home etc

CrispyClaret

Warren Scout
A few pics of our bunnies plus their lodgings
IMG_0882_zps1gipzebm.jpg

Dixie on the left, Pixie at right when just about 3 or 4 weeks old

IMG_0928_zpscreoduvl.jpg

Their home, 8ft x 3ft at the base and over 5ft high

IMG_1097_zpscregqxus.jpg

Run before fully finishing, roughly 7ft square and room for us to sit or stand inside with the top hinged back

IMG_1098_zps4n2cb7dy.jpg

I was going to buy bunny tubes but had some wood around, one castle (now painted) and access tunnels

IMG_1021_zpslmgzet60.jpg

Pixie doing his lamb impression

IMG_1080_zpsxtmw05xp.jpg

Dixie suitably chilled, actually she is warmed, given the electric blanket and fluffy covers...outside they have to slum it, inside they get pampered

IMG_0474_zpsvxetsdt0.png

Large litter tray, childrens play sand, one silly bunny

IMG_1104_zpsrl0sf3au.jpg

King of his castle

IMG_1023_zpspfdmgsq6.jpg

Bunny cam, sad parents have tv on all night, fascinating to see how they sleep and how active at night. Microphone wakes me up when local moggies pluck at the wire in the bottom of the hutch...it does happen

So there you are, Pixie and Dixie

Oh God they are absolutely gorgeous. What a glorious and well thought out set up you have for them.

I especially like the silly bunny in the sand pit picture. Awwwwwwwwwww.

Hello, what lovely bunnies. I think your set up is fabulous. Your bunnies are very lucky. I remember Pixie and Dixie from a Hannah Barbera cartoon, when I was a child.

Thank you, they are dead cute. Yes, except Pixie and Dixie were mice.
The sandpit pic is a still from a video clip, not worked out if I can post vids yet. He is a proper show off rolling around.

Last edited:
Aw, your buns are so fluffy and cute :) I really like the castle and tunnels you have made. I'm tempted to have a go at making some myself, as I've struggled to find what I'd like at a price I can afford. Looks great x

Aw, your buns are so fluffy and cute :) I really like the castle and tunnels you have made. I'm tempted to have a go at making some myself, as I've struggled to find what I'd like at a price I can afford. Looks great x

Super fluffy
I had originally looked at these pipes
http://www.runaround.co.uk/products/burrow-pipe
but a bit ouch at the price when you consider it is unlined ground drainage pipe with rabbits painted on it.
The castle was offcuts of 1" ply at our local timber merchants for £3, a bit overkill really as it weighs a ton. The 6x1 was about £15. To say i put them together roughly would be an understatement, just some 2x1 half jointed to support the top plank. Without the castle the buns race through the tunnels like loonies, round and round in circles.

Awwww what a wonderful video. Pixie really is wonderful. He reminds me of my darling Snowflake.

What a great set up. It gets addictive making things for your buns lol.. Especially when you see them so happy using your finished project. Well done they look so happy. xx Really enjoyed looking at your photos. xx

It's fair to say I have got carried away with making things. They only are unhappy when I try to get them out of their hutch, even though it's for nice things. They chill super quick though.

The sand looks fun! Do they pee in it? Or do they use it just for fun?
They have not had a pee in the sand at all, they don't always hit their litter tray but always pee in that area which is upstairs. The sandbox lives downstairs and I move it to the garden run when I put them in there. Mainly in the hope they won't try burrowing out.
Dixie did try eating a bit of sand the first time she went in it, bought children's playsand from Argos, £3.50 ish and only needed one bag. Figured if it's safe for children to eat it's probably non toxic for bunnies.

They're adorable - I love lionheads.

What a terrific set up too.

Dad was a full blown fluff ball, I am hoping our two just keep their funny long hair on their heads and the bouffant peak above their tails.
Glad you like their house and run, with no previous bunny experience I was unsure how big to go but knew I hated the tiny lightweight hutches in pet shops. The run cost around £20 in wood and I already had the wire from building the hutch, compare with tiny things in pet shops for £90 and it's a no brainier. Saw one advertised as a generous 12sq ft, my version is 49sq ft and breaks down for storage in 5 minutes.

I must admit I was chuffed how much they like the tunnels. Dead easy to build, 2 sides and a top supported by 4 strips, no floor. Nice and light and I can change the pattern slightly. Without the castle they run around in a loop, the castle gives them a stop off to view the scenery or more accurately look at next doors dog going nuts barking at them. Our cat seems as scared of the bunnies as they are of her.

Back