• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Shaun, Tilly, Cookie and Harvey

happybunny

Mama Doe
Hi,

Having read everyone elses touching stories I though I would share some of mine.

Shaun.

When we got our first bunny we were full of the joys of sharing a home with a ball of fluff and liked to share the stories of what little Smokey got up to. Unfortunatley this resulted in my other halves sister wanting to get one for her kids. They called it Stimpy. We visted once and the poor thing (a white and brown lop) was stuck at the bottom of the stairs looking miserable. I desperatletywanted to take him home but they claimed to be looking after him.

About 3 months later on boxing day we got a phone call at around 8pm to say that they had had enough and wanted to get rid. An hour later Stimpy (renamed Shaun by me) came to live with us. The hutch was carpeted in poo and was soaked in urine. It has never taken me so long to clean a hutch. I would have love to have gone straight out buy a new one but with no other choice I through it into the shower and scrubbed.

We took him to the vet and other than finding out she was actually a girl she was in good health.

Tilly

A couple of years later I hear from some one at work that a collegue needed to find a new home for a bunny as her son was allergic. We agreed to take her and later that evening they brought her to see us. She was a black and white dwarf lop. I was totally distraught when she arrived in what appeared to be a hamster cage (sold to her from a pet shop as a rabbit cage). The poor thing could hardly move and there was not enough height for her to stand up.

We brought the outside run inside and put her in that until we could get her a new hutch the next day. We later found out she had problems with her spine causing her legs not to work properly. I really believe this was caused by living for 6 months in that cage.

Cookie

Cookie was another bunny we aquired from a collegue at work (a different one though!). For weeks I listened to the man talk about how great thier bunny was and how he loved her. Then suddenly I am told their son had become bored and they wanted to rehome her.

We went to visit the bunny (a ginger and white dutch) the same day but they refused to let us take her saying the son needed time to say goodbye. 3 days later they brought her to our house with the son (about 10 who did not look the slighest bit bothered the bunny was going). The mother then told the son he could come visit her when ever he wanted!

About 2 years later the mother asked for the first time how Cookie was doing. This was really bad timing as we has lost her only a few days previously due to complication with her mouth an teeth. I told her briefly what had happened (trying not to burst into tears) and her response was that her son would be soooo upset! I was so mad.

Harvey

I was in my local pet shop and saw a little boy bunny (black with a white tummy and fluffy taill) with runny eyes and looking very sad. I wanted to take him home but we had 3 rabbits and did not really have time or room for another as non of the 3 were bonded.

A week later he was still there so I asked an assistant about his eyes. She said that he had been penned with his brother but the brother had flicked urine in his eyes causing the problem so they had seperated them.

I avoided the shop for a while but after 2 weeks I had to know if he was still there. He was and his eyes were worse and he seemed to be breathing heavily. I really could not stand it any longer so I went home and had a serious talk with my other half who I was about to pick up from work. I said if we got him I would not ask for anything else for Chrsitmas (it was the beginning of December). He gave in and we rushed to the shop and got there just before closing time. They shop gave me some dog eye cleaning fluid they had been using on him.

When we got home we found he was a fully developed little boy and was very sore around his "boy" area.

We booked Harvey into the vet the next day. The vet gave his a good look over and said he had an eye infection and it had spread to his chest. It took several weeks but his cheast infection cleared. His eyes are better but his tear ducts don't work so he will always have weepy eyes. The eye drops the pet shop were giving him were doing nothing and it is probable that he would have died if he had not had proper treatment.

Oh Happybunny!!

How very luck for these bunnies that you are so kind and caring. What a life if you hadn't rescued them. So sorry about Cookie as well. (':angel:')

HappyBunny :cry:

Well done for your great work and all the care you gave these bunnies :thumb:

Sad stories :(

With happy endings :D

Oh golly, Happybunny, what wonderful things to do. I can understand your feelings when that woman said her son would be upset - if he was so fond of the bunny why let it go in the first place??!!! I'm so glad that Harvey is doing OK even if he does have a runny eye - my doggie Harriet has a condition called "keratoconjunctivitis sicca", dry eye to you and me but she has to have medication applied to her eyes twice a day for the rest of her life as she doesn't make enough tears.

It is lovely to read all these stories, it is also heart wrenching so I have to be careful what I read at work!!! I think my colleagues might think it slightly odd if I suddenly start snivelling!!! :wink:

Hi - thank goodness for people like yourself - dread to think what would have happened to these buns otherwise.

How people can become 'bored' with such delightful, charming companions I will never understand. If people want to get a pet to stick in a small enclosure, and visit to feed once a day, why don't they buy a couple of goldfish. (sorry, I have nothing against goldfish, but these stories make me feel so bad for every bun out there that is confined to a small hutch, unable to show the absolute joy they could be, if given the chance)

Lizzie said:
I think my colleagues might think it slightly odd if I suddenly start snivelling!!! :wink:
Tch ach, Lizzie you've obviously not developed my god-given talent of crying out of one eye only, the eye furthest away from my work colleague. Although she does catch me out sometimes, but then she starts snivelling as well when she finds out why, then again sometimes she just chucks a box of tissues at me and I know I've been caught! :lol:

It is awful how people can treat rabbits so badly. :x

Thank goodness you were there to save them and give them a loving home. :D

Bunnysam said:
What lovely stories.

Is Shaun still called Shaun?

Shaun stayed Shaun until we lost her a couple of years. It did suit her as she looked a bit like a sheep when she was in the garden (i.e. Shaun the sheep from Wallace and Grommit).

Back