• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Poorly bunny

WilmaRose

New Kit
Hi ladies,

Things are never dull with my frenchies. The fighting has abaited however Wilma has a wet bottom. I noticed a couple if days ago but dismissed as she does have a habit of sitting in water bowl when eating. Anyway I came home from work yesterday and she just looked miserable, so off to the vet. He diagnosed an infection and gave me a course of antibiotics for five days. He also recommended bathing her rear end. She has had two baths and two doses of medicine. I don't know what he called the infection however I was wondering how long does it take for condition to improve. She is eating and drinking and her poos are mainly dry, a few pellets are little bit moist, but that could be urine. Wilma just looks miserable. She is also less robust than her sister, feels skinnier, not by much, but it was that way when they came home.

Sorry for the long winded email just need some expert reassurance.

Thanks x

Sorry to hear that Wilma is a bit under the weather. If she does have an infection 5 days of Baytril won't be a long enough course but hopefully you should start to see an improvement within a day or so. It doesn't sound like your Vet is very rabbit savvy but of course I could be wrong! What dosage is she on?

She is on 2ml per day. She is letting me wash her bottom which is good and she has just had her third dose. She still isn't happy but I will see how she goes.
Thanks x

Update

Hi ladies,

Things are never dull with my frenchies. The fighting has abaited however Wilma has a wet bottom. I noticed a couple if days ago but dismissed as she does have a habit of sitting in water bowl when eating. Anyway I came home from work yesterday and she just looked miserable, so off to the vet. He diagnosed an infection and gave me a course of antibiotics for five days. He also recommended bathing her rear end. She has had two baths and two doses of medicine. I don't know what he called the infection however I was wondering how long does it take for condition to improve. She is eating and drinking and her poos are mainly dry, a few pellets are little bit moist, but that could be urine. Wilma just looks miserable. She is also less robust than her sister, feels skinnier, not by much, but it was that way when they came home.

Sorry for the long winded email just need some expert reassurance.

Thanks x

Hi Ladies,

I posted last week about one of my frenchies, Wilma, having an infection. Over the weekend she has improved however this morning her bottom is getting wet again. She has urinated all over the play pen, where she has her litter tray, and was urinating as she was eating her pellets. She has two doses of antibiotics left. I am really confused, she is eating and drinking (no more than usual) and is her happy self. What can it be?? I have bathed her rear end again, although she has hopped away so I can't dry her very well. They are living indoors and I have put on the heating - just for her.

Some advice needed, pls!!
XX

Thanks

Hi Ladies,

I posted last week about one of my frenchies, Wilma, having an infection. Over the weekend she has improved however this morning her bottom is getting wet again. She has urinated all over the play pen, where she has her litter tray, and was urinating as she was eating her pellets. She has two doses of antibiotics left. I am really confused, she is eating and drinking (no more than usual) and is her happy self. What can it be?? I have bathed her rear end again, although she has hopped away so I can't dry her very well. They are living indoors and I have put on the heating - just for her.

XX

Thanks

A 5 day course of antibiotics is unlikely to be effective. With UTIs much longer courses are often needed.Did the Vet send off a sample of urine for Microscopy, culture and Sensitivity testing. This would hopefully identify the specific bacteria involved and the most appropriate antibiotic to use.

Did the Vet mention any other possible causes of the urinary incontinence-eg Encephalitozoon Cuniculi (EC) ?

http://www.rabbitwelfare.co.uk/pdfs/Ecuniculi_Lft.pdf

Hi Ladies,

XX

Thanks

Sorry to hear about Wilma. So things improved over the weekend but have got worse again? Since you haven't yet finished the course of antibiotics I can see that it's confusing.

I am assuming your vet diagnosed a bladder infection (Urinary Tract Infection) but on what basis? I have found it much more reliable for the vet to send away a sample of urine to a lab for culture and sensitivity. They can also see how much calcium is in the urine sample. Sometimes bladder infections and leaking incontinence is caused by bladder sludge. This would perhaps make sense when you realise the Baytrii would've addressed the immediate infection but not the sludge.

The only way to really diagnose sludge is by an X-ray, which some vets can achieve consciously (i.e. no GA)

http://www.medirabbit.com/EN/Uro_gen_diseases/generalities/Sludge.htm

http://www.rabbit.org/health/urolith.html

I hope this helps :wave:

A 5 day course of antibiotics is unlikely to be effective. With UTIs much longer courses are often needed.Did the Vet send off a sample of urine for Microscopy, culture and Sensitivity testing. This would hopefully identify the specific bacteria involved and the most appropriate antibiotic to use.

Did the Vet mention any other possible causes of the urinary incontinence-eg Encephalitozoon Cuniculi (EC) ?

http://www.rabbitwelfare.co.uk/pdfs/Ecuniculi_Lft.pdf

Thanks for replying. No the vet never mentioned EC and he didn't take a sample of urine either. I just dont understand how the meds can be working and now they have stopped. Is that caused by EC? I just know I am worried. The vet noticed her bottom was sore around her girly bits, though. She hasn't shown any of the signs of EC, till now, with the incontinence. What is interesting is she still urinates in her pen - no where else in the living room.

Thanks
xx

Sorry to hear about Wilma. So things improved over the weekend but have got worse again? Since you haven't yet finished the course of antibiotics I can see that it's confusing.

I am assuming your vet diagnosed a bladder infection (Urinary Tract Infection) but on what basis? I have found it much more reliable for the vet to send away a sample of urine to a lab for culture and sensitivity. They can also see how much calcium is in the urine sample. Sometimes bladder infections and leaking incontinence is caused by bladder sludge. This would perhaps make sense when you realise the Baytrii would've addressed the immediate infection but not the sludge.

The only way to really diagnose sludge is by an X-ray, which some vets can achieve consciously (i.e. no GA)

http://www.medirabbit.com/EN/Uro_gen_diseases/generalities/Sludge.htm

http://www.rabbit.org/health/urolith.html

I hope this helps :wave:

Hi Mighty Max,

Those links were fab, really helpful. From those pictures her urine looks normal, some sediment, no blood. I looked at her lady bits and they were a little red but according to the breeder this happens as they reach puberty. She has been going to the litter box and urinating too, but some misses in her pen. I am going to try and get a sample to take to the vet in the morning. I am going back to my old vet as I have more faith in him and ask for the urine to be tested and perhaps a blood test too.

All these answers have been great ladies and I really appreciate you taking the time to reply to my many questions.
xx:wave:

Hi Mighty Max,

Those links were fab, really helpful. From those pictures her urine looks normal, some sediment, no blood. I looked at her lady bits and they were a little red but according to the breeder this happens as they reach puberty. She has been going to the litter box and urinating too, but some misses in her pen. I am going to try and get a sample to take to the vet in the morning. I am going back to my old vet as I have more faith in him and ask for the urine to be tested and perhaps a blood test too.

All these answers have been great ladies and I really appreciate you taking the time to reply to my many questions.
xx:wave:

You're really welcome WilmaRose :D

If you can't get a sample, then a vet should be able to 'express' the bladder and get a sample for you. If she won't wee, then vet can give some sub cut fluids to get more fluid into her system to make her wee.

Sending off a sample may be a good idea. It's always a good idea to go to a vet who you trust :)

Back