• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Holland Lops

Lesley1564

New Kit
Hi :wave:, I'm new to the forum and was just looking for a bit of advise.

I am looking to get some Holland Lop rabbits and was wondering if anyone knew of any breeders in the North East?

As this is a pro rescue group it'll be unlikely that anyone will be able to give you breeder details.
Have you thought about looking in rescues?

I think you'll just have to search for a 'reputable' breeder on the internet or look for another forum more suited to what you want. Don't dismiss Rescues out-of-hand, though, as they have beautiful rabbits of all kinds looking for new homes. Through no fault of their own they have ended up homeless and are just looking for love.

There is no need to go to a breeder. There are hundreds desperately needing homes in rescues, especially in the North East. The RSPCA have many looking for homes and they are already spayed, neutered and vaccinated. :)

http://www.pawzforthought.org/index.php/animal-adoption-newcastle/rabbits as you said you're looking in the north east I thought I'd add this link. It's is a rescue not a breeder. What you choose is up to you but if you do decide rescue is worth a look I've rescued from them in the past and they're really amazing with the process. I've just had a look at the website and they have some really lovely bunnies looking for homes.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

There's no such thing as a holland lop in the UK which may be why you're not having much luck, there are however lots of small lop breeds available for adoption - http://www.rabbitrehome.org.uk/

This is a pro rescue forum and there are tens of thousands of rabbits looking for homes, the benefits of a rescue rabbit are that they usually come vet checked, neutered and vaccinated, so even though the adoption fee may look high it's actually really low compared to what you would be paying if you bought a cheap bun from a breeder and then had to get it neutered and vacced yourself :) Neutering is essential if you want to keep rabbits together (they really should be kept in pairs), females especially have an enormous risk of uterine cancer if they haven't been neutered. It's also really important to get them vaccinated as there's a lot of myxomatosis and RHD going around at the moment, they previously only needed one vaccination (Nobivac myxo+RHD) but now they need Filavac RHD2 as well. Add up the neutering + 2 Vaccs and you're looking at at least £100 a rabbit. Also, as adorable as baby bunnies are, even the friendliest healthiest seeming babies can end up with health and behavioural problems whereas with an adult rabbit

If you do still decide to go with a breeder, I would advise you really look in to them. Do they have a facebook page or website with any reviews, and do people seem happy with the health of the rabbits they've bought and the way the breeder keeps their rabbits? Some breeders (eg. most BRC breeders that show their rabbits) will know the lineage of their rabbits really well so there's less of a chance you'll get a baby with some kind of genetic health problem. Other breeders (I call them back yard breeders) will just throw any two rabbits together without knowing their history. When you visit ask to look around where the rabbits are kept, if the parents don't seem fit and healthy, if any of the other rabbits look ill/sneezy, if they're offering you a rabbit under 8 weeks old, or if they're just generally not well kept then run a mile!

Also please give this guide a read, it's absolutely excellent, a must in my opinion for anyone considering rabbits :) http://rabbitwelfare.co.uk/pdfs/RWAbrochuremaster.pdf

There's no such thing as a holland lop in the UK which may be why you're not having much luck, there are however lots of small lop breeds available for adoption - http://www.rabbitrehome.org.uk/

This is a pro rescue forum and there are tens of thousands of rabbits looking for homes, the benefits of a rescue rabbit are that they usually come vet checked, neutered and vaccinated, so even though the adoption fee may look high it's actually really low compared to what you would be paying if you bought a cheap bun from a breeder and then had to get it neutered and vacced yourself :) Neutering is essential if you want to keep rabbits together (they really should be kept in pairs), females especially have an enormous risk of uterine cancer if they haven't been neutered. It's also really important to get them vaccinated as there's a lot of myxomatosis and RHD going around at the moment, they previously only needed one vaccination (Nobivac myxo+RHD) but now they need Filavac RHD2 as well. Add up the neutering + 2 Vaccs and you're looking at at least £100 a rabbit. Also, as adorable as baby bunnies are, even the friendliest healthiest seeming babies can end up with health and behavioural problems whereas with an adult rabbit

If you do still decide to go with a breeder, I would advise you really look in to them. Do they have a facebook page or website with any reviews, and do people seem happy with the health of the rabbits they've bought and the way the breeder keeps their rabbits? Some breeders (eg. most BRC breeders that show their rabbits) will know the lineage of their rabbits really well so there's less of a chance you'll get a baby with some kind of genetic health problem. Other breeders (I call them back yard breeders) will just throw any two rabbits together without knowing their history. When you visit ask to look around where the rabbits are kept, if the parents don't seem fit and healthy, if any of the other rabbits look ill/sneezy, if they're offering you a rabbit under 8 weeks old, or if they're just generally not well kept then run a mile!

Also please give this guide a read, it's absolutely excellent, a must in my opinion for anyone considering rabbits :) http://rabbitwelfare.co.uk/pdfs/RWAbrochuremaster.pdf

There are, but here in the UK they are called mini lops. Just a difference in terminology :D

Welcome to RU Lesley :wave:

There are, but here in the UK they are called mini lops. Just a difference in terminology :D

Welcome to RU Lesley :wave:

Technically yes, I just meant there's nothing called a Holland Lop here so if they've been searching for 'Holland Lop breeder' in their area that'll be why they've had no results :lol:

Hello, don't make the mistake I made. I did not know there was such a thing as rabbit rescues before joining this forum. I bought my Alfie from a backyard breeder who I now know is a disgrace.

Alfie will be getting a buddy bun soon and he / she will be a rescue. If you are wanting buns as pets. not for showing please go and visit a rescue shelter. I'd be looking for a bun that you can pick up and handle. (can't pick up my boy yet but working on it)

Rod

Last edited:
Back