• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Advice on new rabbit accommodation?

Hi everyone. I am currently looking into getting my rabbits a new outdoor accommodation for next year, I thought it'd be good to start research early. My rabbits are currently indoors with us, and they are living in a large puppy pen (240cm x 120cm in case anybody was wondering). I also let them out for a run around for at least 4 hours a day where they can free range our entire living room, which is completely weather proof, so they get plenty of exercise daily. I always bring my bunnies indoors for the winter because it gets far too cold outside, and it's easier for me to access them because it gets so dark so early. However in the warmer months I move them back outdoors. Their hutch is a bit old and I'm going to replace it because it's not very big. I was wondering if anyone has any thoughts on the Clover Apex hutch from P@H. It's the minimum size for a pair of rabbits (they have 24/7 access to their run) so if anybody has any advice that'd be great, because I want something that will last for a while. Thanks :)

Where are you and how cold does it get? Are you wanting something that will work all year around? That could be possible e.g. you could go for a shed with a catflap to their run, with insulation and lighting so you could be warm and able to see while interacting with them on winter evenings. It sounds expensive, but if you get a second hand shed it can be about the same price as a good quality hutch.

I had my rabbit in the bluebell hideaway from pets at home but I've recently bonded her with another rabbit and wanted something a bit bigger for the two of them. They do have a run but it isn't attached at the moment so I got a playhouse from Argos for £150 then put a shelf in so they had two floors and it's worked really well. I'm looking into getting an apex run to give them more room but if yours have access to their run all the time the clover apex should be fine. I've had two pets at home hutches now and didn't have a problem with either of them.

I agree with Tamsin. A shed with attached run always works out really well as you can actually go inside and be with them on a cold night without having to sit on cold floor etc.
You can also do a lot more with the space in a shed than you can in any hutch.

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Where are you and how cold does it get? Are you wanting something that will work all year around? That could be possible e.g. you could go for a shed with a catflap to their run, with insulation and lighting so you could be warm and able to see while interacting with them on winter evenings. It sounds expensive, but if you get a second hand shed it can be about the same price as a good quality hutch.

Okay, what size would you recommend for a shed? I was considering getting a 6x4 shed attached to an 8x4 aviary. I would go bigger, but I am on a rather tight budget, and our garden isn't very big.

Okay, what size would you recommend for a shed? I was considering getting a 6x4 shed attached to an 8x4 aviary. I would go bigger, but I am on a rather tight budget, and our garden isn't very big.

I think that would be a great space for a pair. You could always add a shelf if you wanted to the shed (or aviary) but even if you didn't it would still be lots of room :) If your existing run is in good condition, you could always spread the cost by attaching that for now and looking at an aviary down the line.

I think that would be a great space for a pair. You could always add a shelf if you wanted to the shed (or aviary) but even if you didn't it would still be lots of room :) If your existing run is in good condition, you could always spread the cost by attaching that for now and looking at an aviary down the line.
Yes, that's a brilliant idea! I currently have 7x4 run in our garage, which I would use as their main run, but I'd like to maximise their space and being able to walk inside and not get rained on is a massive benefit. I'm thinking of getting the shed at around spring ( March/April) and then getting the new aviary attached at around late summer. I'm considering getting a run around tube attached to their old run so they can graze on the grass safely if the weather is nice. Thank you for your help! :)

Back