• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Sleep Apnea? Emergency Advice Needed

waffles505

New Kit
So I don't even know if this is possible in rabbits but it seems like my bun Waffles has sleep apnea. I have an appointment for her at the vet tomorrow (no emergency vets in my area) but I'm really concerned and want to make sure that she makes it to her appointment.

This started this afternoon (I got home from work at 1:30pm and noticed it so maybe earlier, but not before 8am), when she falls asleep she'll stop breathing for 1-3 seconds and then make this squawking noise to wake herself (maybe gasping for air?) She is completely fine otherwise (eating, drinking, pooping, hopping around). This has never ever been an issue before so I don't know why its suddenly happening or if there is anything I can do to fix it. Also, like I said, I want to make sure she gets to the vet and the fact that she stops breathing for a period of time (however short) terrifies me. My decision as of now is to not sleep and not really let her sleep either until I can get her to the vet; but please any other suggestions would be welcomed.
I'm also curious if this is something anyone else has experienced? I've search online a lot and can find instances of bunnies snoring or wheezing in their sleep but nothing like this.

If it helps; she is nearly 6 years old and has been spayed since she was about 6 months old.

So I don't even know if this is possible in rabbits but it seems like my bun Waffles has sleep apnea. I have an appointment for her at the vet tomorrow (no emergency vets in my area) but I'm really concerned and want to make sure that she makes it to her appointment.

This started this afternoon (I got home from work at 1:30pm and noticed it so maybe earlier, but not before 8am), when she falls asleep she'll stop breathing for 1-3 seconds and then make this squawking noise to wake herself (maybe gasping for air?) She is completely fine otherwise (eating, drinking, pooping, hopping around). This has never ever been an issue before so I don't know why its suddenly happening or if there is anything I can do to fix it. Also, like I said, I want to make sure she gets to the vet and the fact that she stops breathing for a period of time (however short) terrifies me. My decision as of now is to not sleep and not really let her sleep either until I can get her to the vet; but please any other suggestions would be welcomed.
I'm also curious if this is something anyone else has experienced? I've search online a lot and can find instances of bunnies snoring or wheezing in their sleep but nothing like this.

If it helps; she is nearly 6 years old and has been spayed since she was about 6 months old.

Welcome to the Forum :wave:

I am sorry to hear about Waffles and this must be very worrying for you.

Have you noticed her lips and tongue (you may not see that) go blue when you notice the apnea? This would signify a lack of oxygen.

I'm sure you know that apnea is a partial or total blockage of the airway, and I wonder how her weight is and if it's changed at all?

The other thing could be a nasal or upper respiratory infection. It may be something you haven't noticed as it doesn't have a discharge, but antibiotics may be the first place the vet wishes to begin.

Please don't worry right now! Just to check - do you have a good vet that you trust?

Good luck tomorrow at the vet xx

Has she ever had a respiratory infection? Bisc's left scar tissue in his nose and he would snore and randomly also snort himself awake.

Thanks for all your responses! She made it to the vet today and he was as perplexed as I am. Her heart and lungs both sound good and her teeth look fine, so all of that is good news. Also it doesn't seem like she has a respiratory infection (she has none of the other symptoms) but I'm giving her antibiotics to see if that helps at all. I will be trying to film her too and capture this really bizarre thing she's started doing. I'm hoping it has subsided and she just decided to terrify me for an entire day, but only time will tell. If it continues the next step will be a skull X-Ray. She was very brave at the vet though and she's happy and hopping around so hopefully this is all over!

Thanks for all your responses! She made it to the vet today and he was as perplexed as I am. Her heart and lungs both sound good and her teeth look fine, so all of that is good news. Also it doesn't seem like she has a respiratory infection (she has none of the other symptoms) but I'm giving her antibiotics to see if that helps at all. I will be trying to film her too and capture this really bizarre thing she's started doing. I'm hoping it has subsided and she just decided to terrify me for an entire day, but only time will tell. If it continues the next step will be a skull X-Ray. She was very brave at the vet though and she's happy and hopping around so hopefully this is all over!

You're welcome :D

I thought the vet would suggest abx in the first instance. Let's hope it settles down of it's own accord and nothing serious :D

I am glad she is over this episode. Perhaps she got something like hay or other fiber irritating her nasal passage and it is now gone.

Back