• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

HELP! Both of my bunnies recently passed away and i don't know why!

I had 2 male rabbits. One netherland dwarf and one holland lop. They were the best of friends and i never introduced a female so i know there would be no fighting. The netherland dwarf was making so much noise in her homemade cage and i went to check on her. She was running side ways and i laughed because i thought he was just being goofy, he wasn't. He was limp when i picked him up and started tilting his head back and trying to fall. He then passed out almost but it was more like he calmed down. We called the vet and 5 mins later, he passed away. I gave them a bath the night before and i heard one scream but i made sure later that night and made sure to take good care and give them treats for being good. (i gave them a bath because my father forgot to clean their cage while i was with my mother) ( i used dog shampoo) They were totally fine after the scream so i assumed no heart attack could happen. On halloween I come home and check on the lop only to see he is gone. I don't know how it happened but his ears were blue/grey and he was stiff so i know he didnt die recently. We have them in a homemade cage made from a nightstand sort of thing and maybe the bunny ate some wood with stain on it or something but i didnt know if that could kill them. I am missing the bunny love but i dont trust myself unless i could prevent more death. They were related and i got the dwarf from orshlens and found the lop for sale in a nearby town so i dont know if they had bad genetics or what but id love to know. Thanks :)

I'm so sorry for your loss. It's so hard when they die and you have no explanation. Sadly, it's not possible to say what they died of unless you are able to have a post mortem carried out.

Sweet dreams little ones.

I'm so sorry for your loss :-( it's very hard to tell, but it's possible it could be related to the bath I'm afraid - rabbits should never,ever be bathed - even if they have dirty bottoms only that area needs to be done under vet supervision. It's possible that they got a chill after the bath, as they have very dense fur which takes forever to dry out properly and would make them cold, or possibly stress from it. I don't know where you live, but in the U.K. there is also a disease doing the rounds which causes sudden death and people are finding their rabbits dead. I hate to say it though but I would suspect it may be related to bathing them :-( Big hugs to you, it's awful having our beloved pets die x

I had 2 male rabbits. One netherland dwarf and one holland lop. They were the best of friends and i never introduced a female so i know there would be no fighting. The netherland dwarf was making so much noise in her homemade cage and i went to check on her. She was running side ways and i laughed because i thought he was just being goofy, he wasn't. He was limp when i picked him up and started tilting his head back and trying to fall. He then passed out almost but it was more like he calmed down. We called the vet and 5 mins later, he passed away. I gave them a bath the night before and i heard one scream but i made sure later that night and made sure to take good care and give them treats for being good. (i gave them a bath because my father forgot to clean their cage while i was with my mother) ( i used dog shampoo) They were totally fine after the scream so i assumed no heart attack could happen. On halloween I come home and check on the lop only to see he is gone. I don't know how it happened but his ears were blue/grey and he was stiff so i know he didnt die recently. We have them in a homemade cage made from a nightstand sort of thing and maybe the bunny ate some wood with stain on it or something but i didnt know if that could kill them. I am missing the bunny love but i dont trust myself unless i could prevent more death. They were related and i got the dwarf from orshlens and found the lop for sale in a nearby town so i dont know if they had bad genetics or what but id love to know. Thanks :)

Welcome to the Forum Jenna and I am so sorry to hear of your losses :(

I don't know whether your bunnies were indoor or outdoor, but if outside they could've been spooked by a fox. Rabbits are very fragile and can die easily from shock. (I mention this because you say you heard one of them scream and that's an extreme reaction in a rabbit - to pain or fear)

Whatever the cause, I am sorry and I hope you are OK? xx

It could be anything but it seems like too much of a coincidence that they both died after you bathed them. Rabbits never need bathing. When you say you heard one screaming..was that whilst he was being bathed? Likely he died of delayed shock.
However, the running around seems like the rabbit was in extreme pain or fear which could be a result of anything.

I suggest you do some serious research before you decide to get anymore rabbits. X

It could be anything but it seems like too much of a coincidence that they both died after you bathed them. Rabbits never need bathing. When you say you heard one screaming..was that whilst he was being bathed? Likely he died of delayed shock.
However, the running around seems like the rabbit was in extreme pain or fear which could be a result of anything.

I suggest you do some serious research before you decide to get anymore rabbits. X

Not strictly true.

We have had to bathe rabbits that have come into rescue in an appalling state, including one little Nethie covered in wet red brick and plaster dust.

Not strictly true.

We have had to bathe rabbits that have come into rescue in an appalling state, including one little Nethie covered in wet red brick and plaster dust.

Yes but that is an exceptional circumstance. I would never bathe a rabbit fully unless they were covered in something that was harmful.

I'm sorry you lost your bunnies :(

It is impossible for us to guess what happened really although as said full bathing is not good for buns. Were they vaccinated?

Back