• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Utter despair & devastated beyond belief. Update - Closure post48

JessBun

Mama Doe
Again, a warning, this is very disturbing and gory in parts - it's even worse experiencing it, trust me. :cry: I don't know how to word it nicer/better. I'm a mess right now. and in deep shock. horrified.

I don't need anyone to beat me down for this; trust me, I've done more than enough of it by myself and will to continue to do so. I have been literally wailing for hours and begging my OH to come home. I am however, prepared to take outsider blame too.

I went out to see to Micky this morning. What I found instead, was something large and very gross on the garden. It looked like from an animal. I didn't comprehend it properly at first. My first thoughts were that the neighbour (the one we had issues with) threw something disgusting over our fence. I then looked at Micky's hutch/run and immediately started to panic. The mesh, covering his run, had been literally ripped out from the wood of his cage, where the run joins and forced down into the run (just a small part at the part where it meets his hutch). His partition to his bed area, had been forced out of it's frame. My micky, had gone. Nothing had even attempted to dig under the run - probably figured it couldn't anyway. It's then I looked back at whats on the garden, I realised, it was his cecum. completely in tact. I crumpled to my knees and just :censored: wailed. and wailed. That's what was left of my beloved boy, after what, 7, 8 years??

I am beyond despair, I cannot even describe it. I grew up with this bun. I immediately assumed fox, till I saw what I think, may well be dog mess on the garden, nearby (we don't have a dog). This wasn't there last night. We have had problems with 2 people on the street in particular, letting their dogs run riot, one is a large dog, one is my neighbours little terrier who showed quite an interest in the animal runs & has entered the garden several times. We also have a new neighbour next door who has a dog, which to our knowledge has never entered the garden, but at the corner of their garden the dog could enter ours. I'm not looking to blame anybody, but if it was a dog, particularly next door, the dog may have dropped his body in the garden or something. If it was a dog, I just want the body back to cremate. I have nothing, absolutely nothing after all this time.

If anyone could help look at the picture of the faeces, I would appreciate it. I think it's far to large to be a foxes, and not the correct form. It's definitely not a cat's though. As I say, I'm not looking to blame - blaming won't bring him back - clearly the run was not as well secured as we thought and that's our fault to face and live with. Whether it was a dog or a fox. But if it indeed was a dog, I just want to ask nearby houses to poss check gardens. If it is, to make sure it never happens again.

Remaining pets are inside safe with me. But after this, I'm seriously considering rehoming them. I've totally failed my boy, and he did not deserve to go like this. One of the most basic things to is keep your pets safe and I totally failed. Nothing drove it home harder than what I've just had to clean up off the garden.

If anyone has any advice about to approach neighbours we barely know about this, please do post it. I'm not looking to accuse, I just feel I have to ask if it was a dog to get his body back, I really do think it was. If anyone will look at the picture of the animal faeces and advise I'll send it via PM (nothing else grim will be in the picture, just the faeces).

I have no words. Grieving badly. Losing a much loved pet is hard enough. But to find it this way, is just incomprehensible. I have no idea how to pull myself out of this empty, dark hole :cry::cry:

Last edited:
Oh jessbun :(
I can't even put anything into words. ((((Hugs))))

Maybe print a note to post through doors (avoid the crazy lady) just asking to check. Put on there you know dogs will be dogs and sometimes the hunt instinct arises but explain you'd like to know & if possible have his body returned so you can say goodbye properly.

Again I'm so sorry and wish so badly I could just fix it all for you xxx

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

This is just devastating, I'm so sorry Jessbun. Please try not to beat yourself up, you did everything you could to keep him safe :cry:

Sending massive hugs xxxx

I am so so sorry :cry: I know some of what you are going through, my two full sized horned goats were killed last year, we assume by dogs (worse still possibly our own dogs) My husband found them and I was distraught:cry:

It will get better in time, but I still feel very upset about it :cry:

Thinking of you and sending hugs xxx

JessBun I am so very very sorry. This is devastating news and you must be shocked to the core.

No one blames you. Sending you loads of hugs .. and I hope you get closure on this for Micky's and your sakes xx

I am very sorry :cry: I really hope you find out what has happened.

It is easier to tell the difference between the faeces of a rural fox and a pet dog. With a rural fox there will usually be the remains of wild prey within the poo (sorry if TMI). With an urban fox, who has possibly been raiding dustbins etc, it is more difficult, although fox poo is usually darker and smaller than dog poo, but of course that will depend on the size of the dog.

Regarding approaching the neighbours, it would be easier if you could narrow it down to which dogs "could" have entered your garden. Whilst I understand that dogs have a hunting instinct, in my view that does not excuse an owner allowing his/her dog to enter your garden. I am also presuming that this has happened during the night when dogs surely should be locked up in their houses.

I'm so sorry :( About 7 years ago we lost our guinea pig and next door lost their two piggies to a Japanese Akita, it just killed them and left them on the grass. Just playing, I guess. It also looked like the mesh had been ripped right out, so I'm afraid it does sound more like a dog. I doubt a fox would have strength in it's jaw.

I hope you find out what happened, I really do, it's such an awful feeling :(

I'm so, so sorry :cry:. I can't even begin to comprehend what you're going through but you're in my thoughts.

Fox poo is usually very dark, almost black, and can be sort of long and pointy at one end. Dog poo will be brown and much rounder/fuller.

I'm so, so sorry :cry:. I can't even begin to comprehend what you're going through but you're in my thoughts.

Fox poo is usually very dark, almost black, and can be sort of long and pointy at one end. Dog poo will be brown and much rounder/fuller.

Fox poo also has a very distinctive smell, doesn't it - least it does when my neighbour's dogs roll in it!

I have no words. I am so, deeply sorry.

I know its easier said than done but please don't blame yourself, like you mentioned, it isn't going to help anyone. Sending you hugs x

Back