• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Is it ok to nebulise Rosie?

Vanessa.B

Mama Doe
Assuming it doesn't stress her out too much.

Rosie is 9 and a half and has an enlarged heart - it was confirmed in June in this year after being probable after she was hospitalised with pneumonia earlier in the year. She is on no medication - something I question myself over every day - but in the 9 years I have had her she has never allowed me to lay a finger on her for any length of time and being held/ treated/car travel stresses her immensely. She has always been a definite hands-off rabbit and my worst fear for her was her developing a condition that would need daily treatment. So, it was decided to allow her to live out the rest of her days as stress free as possible and not get into a position where she was constantly hiding from me. It is better to be able to assess her under 'normal' circumstances rather than her becoming stressed by my approaching her.

On the plus side she is still enthusiastic about food and eating well, bright in herself (foraging on the decking) and seems to be maintaining her weight. She also has a companion Max - after I lost her partner BJ - who is on loan from a friend who she is happy with.

On the minus side her breathing is slightly laboured - but not mouth breathing. I don't know the cause of this but a round trip of 2+ hours to my preferred vets to find out the cause may not be in her best interests if again there is no treatment. She also now has a snotty nose so I did decide to take her down to my non-preferred vet only 5 mins away to try and get some abx. I have been given baytril (for only 5 days as it turns out) which is stressing her to try and get her to take - even in baby food - which affects her breathing.

So I am wondering if nebulising her may help. I did ask the question of the baytril vet (who I don't have too much confidence in) and he said not as he couldn't determine the condition of Rosie's lungs. This is fair enough, but am wondering if anyone has nebulised a rabbit under the same circumstances and whether it may help. I have a nebuliser and saline that I can use.

Any advice would be welcome. Every day when I see how bright she is I question whether I should be medicating her to give her more time - but then just trying to clean her nose upsets her........ so hard to know what to do for the best.

I don't think it would do any harm to try to nebulise her provided she doesn't get stressed.
It should help open her lungs and ease her breathing but its normally recommended to do it at least three times a day if possible for best effect. (up to half hour a turn I believe?)

I have a vague memory of someone using a nebuliser to nebulise baytril as they couldn't medicate their bunny but I'm not sure if this was an actual thing or if I dreamt it... also not sure how effective it would be if it was a real thing. Sorry.. I'm just sort of rambling now trying to remember if it was a dream or not.

Assuming it doesn't stress her out too much.

Rosie is 9 and a half and has an enlarged heart - it was confirmed in June in this year after being probable after she was hospitalised with pneumonia earlier in the year. She is on no medication - something I question myself over every day - but in the 9 years I have had her she has never allowed me to lay a finger on her for any length of time and being held/ treated/car travel stresses her immensely. She has always been a definite hands-off rabbit and my worst fear for her was her developing a condition that would need daily treatment. So, it was decided to allow her to live out the rest of her days as stress free as possible and not get into a position where she was constantly hiding from me. It is better to be able to assess her under 'normal' circumstances rather than her becoming stressed by my approaching her.

On the plus side she is still enthusiastic about food and eating well, bright in herself (foraging on the decking) and seems to be maintaining her weight. She also has a companion Max - after I lost her partner BJ - who is on loan from a friend who she is happy with.

On the minus side her breathing is slightly laboured - but not mouth breathing. I don't know the cause of this but a round trip of 2+ hours to my preferred vets to find out the cause may not be in her best interests if again there is no treatment. She also now has a snotty nose so I did decide to take her down to my non-preferred vet only 5 mins away to try and get some abx. I have been given baytril (for only 5 days as it turns out) which is stressing her to try and get her to take - even in baby food - which affects her breathing.

So I am wondering if nebulising her may help. I did ask the question of the baytril vet (who I don't have too much confidence in) and he said not as he couldn't determine the condition of Rosie's lungs. This is fair enough, but am wondering if anyone has nebulised a rabbit under the same circumstances and whether it may help. I have a nebuliser and saline that I can use.

Any advice would be welcome. Every day when I see how bright she is I question whether I should be medicating her to give her more time - but then just trying to clean her nose upsets her........ so hard to know what to do for the best.

Hi Vanessa :wave:

The nebuliser with plain saline will do no harm. I have done this around once daily for a rabbit shown as in need.

But if she had meds for her enlarged heart, couldn't you hide it in treats/banana or something? You've probably tried all this already .. so sorry for repeating. I am lucky to have access to an oxygen machine and I have permission from the vet to use it for rabbits in similar situations as it eases stress and other undesirable symptoms.

Nebulising would at least open her airways a little. I have another idea, but I shall PM you ...

Love and hugs xx

Hello, no idea on nebuliser but my late Opera bunny had an enlarged heart diagnosed when she had a chest xray, after years of coughing and Baytril. We changed our vet who then advised a half a Fortekor tablet once a day. I used to crush it up and spread it on a slice of apple. She lived happily and comfortably for another over four years. She was over 10 when I lost her. I don't understand why your vet hasn't advised proper heart meds.

Back