• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Petrified Olly might have myxo U/D perfectly fine!!

ripminnie

Wise Old Thumper
It never rains but it pours...
Olly was fine this morning, but at lunchtime I noticed one eye (his down eye, he has a head tilt) was running like mad and very swollen :( I just thought he had maybe banged it, or poked it with some hay or something.. It wasn't until later this afternoon I realised it could be myxo :( there have been loads of mosquitos in my house recently :(
I told the vet at Daisy's appointment tonight (didn't want to take both, don't need Daisy catching that!!!) She gave me some eye drops for him, and I can take him tomorrow if it doesn't look better :( he was vaccinated in July, so that's good at least. Really don't need this right now :(

Last edited:
I think there could be lots of causes for Olly's eye other than Myx. It could actually be that he's been stung by a late-flying wasp or bee. When my rabbit had Myx his eye was just swollen, it didn't run.

Sending lots of vibes for him.

I think there could be lots of causes for Olly's eye other than Myx. It could actually be that he's been stung by a late-flying wasp or bee. When my rabbit had Myx his eye was just swollen, it didn't run.

Sending lots of vibes for him.

Thanks, I know, just panicking right now! He is eating fine, and seems happy enough, apart from being sad because I've been spending all my time with Daisy. Really hope I'm just being paranoid...

Thanks, I know, just panicking right now! He is eating fine, and seems happy enough, apart from being sad because I've been spending all my time with Daisy. Really hope I'm just being paranoid...

I really don't think you're panicking or being paranoid :) Olly has clearly got something wrong with his eye and it's only natural for us to think of the worst possible scenario. I would be exactly the same.

Yes! It looks fine!! Very odd!!
Very pleased to see this update.

Hopefully it was just irritated by something and you getting the eyedrops so quickly stopped it developing into an eye infection. :love:

Did you manage the eyedrops OK?:wave:

Should have kept my mouth shut as usual! He is off his food a bit, so something not right. If no better at lunchtime I'll take him to vets tonight. I'm exhausted :(

Hi, I hate to say it but this does sound rather the same way my Marmalade's mxyi went (one of her eyes was intermittently runny for a couple of days). Then her nose swelled very slightly (at the tip) and that's when I took her to the vets. She had also been rather quiet.

I imagine you have taken him to the vets tonight.

Praying it isn't mxyi but if it is its best to get him on meds asap of course.

Sending lots of well wishes to him xx

He's fine now!! You would never know anything was wrong with his eye yesterday at all!! Ate his lunchtime herbs and his tea just now, no problem :) praying he stays ok!!

Back