• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Recognised rabbit breeds

daphnephoebe

Wise Old Thumper
Not sure where to put this....

Does anyone have an up to date list of the UK recognised rabbit breeds?

Thanks

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

Thank you very much :)
I thought it'd be somewhere on there but couldn't find it lol

As Jane pointed out the BRC is the best place to look. There are a few 'unstandardised' breeds/colours not on there, i believe that breeders need to get some kind of license from the BRC to start working on a new breed (I saw new, they could be imported from another country) and they're allowed to go in shows in an unstandardised class but they won't go on that list till they are standardised, and I think a certain number of breeders have to be keeping them to do that. For some reason a lot of forms online (eg. for registering with a vet, insurance company) use american breeds so you'll see breeds on there that don't exist in the UK or that we use a different name for (eg. their holland lop is our mini lop, their britannia petite is our polish)

Why are you interested DP? :)
I used to know all the breeds of by heart when I was in the vets but I lost touch when I stopped working there.
It looks at if there is one "new" breed on there but I'd like to get to know all the breeds inside & out again.

I used to know all the breeds of by heart when I was in the vets but I lost touch when I stopped working there.
It looks at if there is one "new" breed on there but I'd like to get to know all the breeds inside & out again.

Did you know what a thrianta was? Every time I tell a vet/nurse they don't have a clue what I'm saying :lol:

Did you know what a thrianta was? Every time I tell a vet/nurse they don't have a clue what I'm saying :lol:

Yes - I didn't know all the details on their specifics but they are meant to be a beautiful "burnt" orange if I remember correctly? Medium length fur which is meant to be incredibly soft. And originally from the Netherlands?
Please correct if wrong - going from what little I remember from 2+ years ago

Yes - I didn't know all the details on their specifics but they are meant to be a beautiful "burnt" orange if I remember correctly? Medium length fur which is meant to be incredibly soft. And originally from the Netherlands?
Please correct if wrong - going from what little I remember from 2+ years ago

Yeah that's right :D They're pretty 'normal' in size and shape, not too small/big, regular sized uppy ears, regular face (although in the US thriantas seem to be looking more and more flat faced :( ), the only thing that's kind of exaggerated or 'unnatural' is their bright red coat which doesn't affect their health :)

Yeah that's right :D They're pretty 'normal' in size and shape, not too small/big, regular sized uppy ears, regular face (although in the US thriantas seem to be looking more and more flat faced :( ), the only thing that's kind of exaggerated or 'unnatural' is their bright red coat which doesn't affect their health :)

Do you have two in your pic?
I'd love to see their fur in person one day but I know they're difficult to come across.
Shame about the flattening faces :(

Do you have two in your pic?
I'd love to see their fur in person one day but I know they're difficult to come across.
Shame about the flattening faces :(

Yeah I currently have two boys :) In the past I've had a male and three females (one of which was pregnant when I got her so a litter on top of that but I couldn't keep them all) I love the breed so much :love: I hope UK breeders don't start trying to make them all squashed up, when you google thrianta there's some that almost look like netherland dwarves with their round flat faces and tiny ears

Yeah I currently have two boys :) In the past I've had a male and three females (one of which was pregnant when I got her so a litter on top of that but I couldn't keep them all) I love the breed so much :love: I hope UK breeders don't start trying to make them all squashed up, when you google thrianta there's some that almost look like netherland dwarves with their round flat faces and tiny ears

I've just had a google. I see what you mean, a few of them do look like little red neithes. Then others look a bit like dutch(?)

Back