• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Advice needed please

Kirsty123

Young Bun
Hi I'm new to this site, I'm just looking for some advice and came across this website while searching, I have a 8 year old rabbit, I have had him since he was 8 weeks. He used to live indoors in our garage but since the summer he has been out the garden in a hutch/run. I don't know what to do with him for the winter whether to leave him outside or bring him in because of his age? he doesn't really move around much anymore just seems to relax if he does come inside he will have a smaller space than the hutch this time as he would be under the staires. I'm getting more concerned as weather changing, hutch isn't really that good and it coming up to fireworks etc he was indoors for two years before going out summer time? Really stuck on what to do? Thanks!!

Last edited:
Welcome to the forum :wave:

How big is the indoor space? I personally would move him in for peace of mind, rabbits do quite well outdoors providing they have a weather proof hutch, lots of bedding (eg straw for insulation), a heat pod, hutch cover and ideally a companion but with his age I may get more concerned about him.

Hello and welcome. As you have had your rabbit for 8 years you are the best person to know what is the right thing to do. Don't worry about fireworks as they don't seem to be frightened, unless you are setting them off in the same garden. We had fireworks Saturday night 2 gardens away and none of my rabbits were phased! I was! Can you not put the hutch in the garage - is that where he used to live? Does he relax when he is indoors - is there anything that might scare him like a dog etc? I have many 8 or 9 yr old bunnies but they will be fine outside, although they will be covered from the cold air at night and the rain. Do you get foxes in your garden which might open up his hutch? He will have more company in the house. Hope you decide on the best way for him.

Welcome to the forum :wave:

How big is the indoor space? I personally would move him in for peace of mind, rabbits do quite well outdoors providing they have a weather proof hutch, lots of bedding (eg straw for insulation), a heat pod, hutch cover and ideally a companion but with his age I may get more concerned about him.
Thanks ☺, The indoor space would be quite small as it's under the staires I just feel torn as what to do its either he stays outside but I worry or I bring him in and I worry he hasn't got a lot of room. I personally think he'd be better off inside too.?

Me too.

I'd extend the space out from under the stairs with puppy pen panels so you don't feel he's all cooped up.

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

Yeah that's what I would love to do but my hall way is right by the front door and it's narrow if I put puppy pens there you wouldn't be able to walk through the hallway, I'm so stuck on what to do I have two days off today and tommorrow so wanted to get something sorted for him x

Hello and welcome. As you have had your rabbit for 8 years you are the best person to know what is the right thing to do. Don't worry about fireworks as they don't seem to be frightened, unless you are setting them off in the same garden. We had fireworks Saturday night 2 gardens away and none of my rabbits were phased! I was! Can you not put the hutch in the garage - is that where he used to live? Does he relax when he is indoors - is there anything that might scare him like a dog etc? I have many 8 or 9 yr old bunnies but they will be fine outside, although they will be covered from the cold air at night and the rain. Do you get foxes in your garden which might open up his hutch? He will have more company in the house. Hope you decide on the best way for him.

Thanks! There's no room in the garage anymore for a hutch unfortunately. I do have two dogs but he's used to them Barking etc when they go in the garden. I honestly don't know what to do

I would bring him in as I'd rather him in a smaller space but interacting with the family than in a large space but stuck outside by himself and all alone all winter.

Yeah that's what I would love to do but my hall way is right by the front door and it's narrow if I put puppy pens there you wouldn't be able to walk through the hallway, I'm so stuck on what to do I have two days off today and tommorrow so wanted to get something sorted for him x
Could you put a panel at either end of the hall and let him have run off the hall as well? Just protect any wires that are there?

I'd still personally bring him inside provided you can keep him safe from your puppy dogs.

Could you just put a baby gate across the entrance into the hallway so he could have the under the stairs space and the hallway? I do this sort of thing with my rabbits, baby/dog gates are really useful for this. That way the under the stairs could be the 'base' with litterbox, hay, toys etc (which would keep from getting the narrow hallway cluttered) and the hallway could be where he can run around and interact with you. Assuming this wouldn't be an issue with your dogs.

Rabbits tend to do well with the cold (although it is more worrying as they get older) but being social animals I always prefer they either have a bunny friend or are around people a lot.

I would bring him in as I'd rather him in a smaller space but interacting with the family than in a large space but stuck outside by himself and all alone all winter.

Thanks that's what's been worrying me it's like either he gets space but he's outside or inside but he will have company! But I do agree I think inside would be best for him

Could you put a panel at either end of the hall and let him have run off the hall as well? Just protect any wires that are there?

I'd still personally bring him inside provided you can keep him safe from your puppy dogs.

I would love to do that but my husband wouldn't allow me to leave him have the run of the hall way(he would leave me let him have a run around while we were home but not all day)The dogs wouldn't harm him at all & he's used to the dogs.

Last edited:
Would it be ok to keep him in a cage under the staires but let him have a run in the hall way everyday? or would that not be enough space? I was thinking of getting one of them large indoor cages or getting them puppy panels to block off under the staires?

Last edited:
Back