• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Mites or injury

Hi All,

Posting for the first time. We own two rabbits (1x nethy dwarf. 1x nethy dwarf cross). We are also looking after our friends two mini lops. We've kept the rabbits separate but unfortunately there was an accidental introduction in the garden. I didn't notice any fighting, but after putting both sets of buns away I noticed some fur clumps on the lawn. That was yesterday. Today we've noticed a sore under one of the mini lops ears. Hard to tell if it's from the potential fight, or if it's mites or maybe she just caught it on something. I've attached a picture. Posting here as not sure whether the vets is needed or if it can be treated at home. Doesn't look open or infected or anything but there is evidence of blood having been there previously. That's what's making me think it's a mite area that's been scratched too aggressively?

Any help greatly appreciated. Potential trip to the vets tomorrow I guess...

Thanks
Laura

P.S can someone tell me how to post a pic? Looks like I can only do it by URL? Thanks

Last edited:
Sorry, can't see a photo so can't help I'm afraid. Have you tried cleaning the area with some damp cotton wool (tepid, not cold)? You may be able to tell then if it's a bite? If it is a bite and is only a surface wound then it'll probably heal on its own anyway. Our girls had a spat and we never noticed until it was too late (as their fur is very thick) that Thumper had taken a chunk out of Coco's shoulder - we only found it when we stroked her and felt the scab. It healed very quickly, within 3 or 4 days, and that included the scab coming away too. If it looks like a clean wound then it's up to you re the vet, but I get where you're coming from as it's not your bunny that's been injured :)

Hi All,

Posting for the first time. We own two rabbits (1x nethy dwarf. 1x nethy dwarf cross). We are also looking after our friends two mini lops. We've kept the rabbits separate but unfortunately there was an accidental introduction in the garden. I didn't notice any fighting, but after putting both sets of buns away I noticed some fur clumps on the lawn. That was yesterday. Today we've noticed a sore under one of the mini lops ears. Hard to tell if it's from the potential fight, or if it's mites or maybe she just caught it on something. I've attached a picture. Posting here as not sure whether the vets is needed or if it can be treated at home. Doesn't look open or infected or anything but there is evidence of blood having been there previously. That's what's making me think it's a mite area that's been scratched too aggressively?

Any help greatly appreciated. Potential trip to the vets tomorrow I guess...

Thanks
Laura

P.S can someone tell me how to post a pic? Looks like I can only do it by URL? Thanks

This link explains how to post photos

http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/showthread.php?136183-Tutorial-How-to-Post-Photos

BUT I would take your Rabbit to a Vet as if the Rabbit has been bitten prompt Veterinary attention is essential.Puncture bite wounds can be hard to detect but can cause a lot of problems if left untreated. Abscesses being the main issue and Rabbit abscesses can be a real challenge to resolve.

Sorry, can't see a photo so can't help I'm afraid. Have you tried cleaning the area with some damp cotton wool (tepid, not cold)? You may be able to tell then if it's a bite? If it is a bite and is only a surface wound then it'll probably heal on its own anyway. Our girls had a spat and we never noticed until it was too late (as their fur is very thick) that Thumper had taken a chunk out of Coco's shoulder - we only found it when we stroked her and felt the scab. It healed very quickly, within 3 or 4 days, and that included the scab coming away too. If it looks like a clean wound then it's up to you re the vet, but I get where you're coming from as it's not your bunny that's been injured :)

Welcome to the Forum :wave:

AngieB has given you excellent advice :D

Bathing in cooled boiled water, with a pinch of salt, is very antiseptic and healing. It's most likely not mites, but an injury, but it may heal up on it's own.

This is how you can post a photo:

http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/showthread.php?136183-Tutorial-How-to-Post-Photos

Back