• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Will his neuter incision get infected?

wachel182

New Kit
I got my 3 year old rabbit neutered on Thursday (its now Sunday morning) and it went fine and he was eating and drinking water when I brought him home. The next day his poop was a little runny and squishy and the vet said that is normal unless it goes on too long. But yesterday morning he sat on it and it spread around his incision! I wiped it off with a damp and warm towel but I don't know how else I should clean it? I heard Neosporin and saline solution would work but I haven't tried it yet, I just want more opinions before I do. My vet is closed on Sunday's so I just emailed them what they think but for now what do you think I could do to prevent it from getting infected? It still is alittle red and swollen but I read that is normal for a few days after. And now his poop is fine and back to normal also.
I'm also a college student who lives 3 hours away from home but I drove home to get his surgery and I would like to not have to drive back to fix the infection or just to check it and then say there is nothing wrong:( Of course I will when I need to but I'd like to prevent it the best I can!

Cleaning it as you have done is the best way really.
Just keep any eye for excess swelling, heat, discharge.

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

I got my 3 year old rabbit neutered on Thursday (its now Sunday morning) and it went fine and he was eating and drinking water when I brought him home. The next day his poop was a little runny and squishy and the vet said that is normal unless it goes on too long. But yesterday morning he sat on it and it spread around his incision! I wiped it off with a damp and warm towel but I don't know how else I should clean it? I heard Neosporin and saline solution would work but I haven't tried it yet, I just want more opinions before I do. My vet is closed on Sunday's so I just emailed them what they think but for now what do you think I could do to prevent it from getting infected? It still is alittle red and swollen but I read that is normal for a few days after. And now his poop is fine and back to normal also.
I'm also a college student who lives 3 hours away from home but I drove home to get his surgery and I would like to not have to drive back to fix the infection or just to check it and then say there is nothing wrong:( Of course I will when I need to but I'd like to prevent it the best I can!

Hello and welcome to you and your bunny :wave:

Bathing in cooled boiled water, with a pinch of salt added, will cleanse the wound if it needs it. It should heal up fine :D

Yes you could do. Or just squeeze a sponge over his 'bits'. Is he looking OK at the moment?

yeah! it looked a little red still but this morning I looked and it seems a lot better!! He keeps taking the cone off to lick it so I hope that stops too :(

yeah! it looked a little red still but this morning I looked and it seems a lot better!! He keeps taking the cone off to lick it so I hope that stops too :(

Ah bless him, he has a cone on!

If it's not swollen, it's probably healing up OK xx

Back