• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

My four fluffies and how the story began...

Jules

Warren Scout
I just wanted to let you know about how I began my bunny mad ways.

About two years ago I moved into my own home with my partner. Up until then I never really had an interest in rabbits in particular but have always been an animal lover.

Paul came home one day and told me about a guy he worked with. He had a rabbit that he was giving away as the kids had got bored. He said we could have the hutch as well. We both thought that this would be a good starting point for our first pet (we thought that it would be quite cheap!! We now know better).

We went to meet Tizzy on a sunday with no intentions of taking her that day as we wanted to prepare and collect her at a later date, when we saw her we were discusted. She was in a dirty hutch at the bottom of a huge garden, a very dirty bed, no water, no food and the little girl kept saying "we call her evil because of her eyes" (Tizzy has red eyes). When I picked her up her claws were so long that they had curled round and begun digging into her pads, she could not even walk properly.

Action Stations: We took her there and then, no hutch, no food, nothing. We took her straight to my Mum's house, the doggy toes nail clippers were at the ready. Once her nails were clipped she had her first experience of the grass and she loved it. She stayed with my Mum while Paul & I went to a local pet shop and spent a fortune kittin her out with everything she needed.

After having her for about three months (and getting her vacinated and spayed in this time) we decided to get her a larger hutch and a boyfriend :oops: . We went to a local rescue and got a gorgeous little boy called Beattie. After spending about 9 months bonding them we finally saw the day that they played togethor, ate togethor and groomed each other!! Phew what a long nine months :D

Once that task was over we decided to take in another couple and so we found a pair of sisters in Bracknell. They are now all settled and happy in their pairs. The next job for me is to bond all four of them - any tips on doing this would be great!!

Needless to say I tell Tizzy everyday that she is a beautiful girl because of her eyes :lol:

Hi Jules - it still astounds me that people can completely neglect a bunny in the way that you described. I'm sure Tizzy thinks that you are as special to her as she is to you.

Good luck with the bonding.

hi.
aww what a a lovely story it brought water to my eyes im glad it was a happy ending
hope all the best for u and ur bunnies
becky

Awww Jules what a lovely story and a lovely thing you did for Tizzy. It is a shame people refer to the Red eyes as the devils bunnies etc. I must admit I was a REW hater to start with and remember saying to my partner at the time 'oh no i don't like them they look like the devil' when I met Casper my heart and mind changed rapidly. He was this like funny guy with helicopter ears one of which feel in his face everytime he put his head down for another mouth ful of food so everytime his ear fell he'd flip his head up and this ear would bounce around :lol: he was also sat in the middle of a large bowl of food. He just looked so funny and sweet and I fell in love there and then. I'd love to be able to finish the story with saying he was from rescue but I didn't know such a thing exsisted at the time and he is from a pet shop. Wish there was more Caspers in the world so other people could see for themselves they are not devil bunnies. I, like you Jules, tell Casper every day how lovely he is and then give him kisses.
Angela

Yes me too sadly ... have to admit that I didn't like red eyes before I got little Rosie and also I didn't know much about rescue centres and all the sites I have found now and went to a breeder (where I got Billy from) who I know and trusted. She only had one white doe left and when she said red eyes I wasn't sure but my boyfriend said "lets go and look at them". My sisters said they were evil eyes too but I went along and she was obvioulsy a reject as all the other bunnies had been sold (which made her even more appealing to me :) ) and she kept coming up to the bars presenting herself to me and trying to look nice (ahhhh!) and she was sooooooooooo friendly. I held her and fell in love with her there and then x

She is very beautiful and I call them pink eyes , my little Rose.

Our male rabbit Ron has red eyes....... we fell in love :love: with him as he was the last of the litter :( , and he sat there looking at us . I find rabbit with red eyes are beautiful and if i can convince hubby to get another pair of bunnies. The red eyed ones will be at the top of our list.

hi
i think rew r lovely
well the rew's n the polish r devils they r terrible they will fly at u but that breed is very hight stung any way but thay say the rews in that breed r worse but in other breeds they seem to be more relxed
becky

I am one of these people that don't like red eyes to this day... but guess what, my first budgy was white with red eyes, then a cockatiel, a hamster, my current chinchilla and Apollo, my British Giant is a REW too... :roll: I love white animals - and just accept the red eyes as part of the deal... :lol: But of course, I would never call them evil - unless they are called Apollo of course.... :twisted: :lol: He is my little devil :love:

Oh Jules, my heart is aching. poor Tizzy - what a life she had before you came along. She must think she is in seventh heaven now and I am so glad you rescued her

SSSSShhhhhhh, I'll let you all into a secret :wink: ........My Jim's a REW and he's my hubby! He's an albino and his eyesight is very poor. Although his eyes are only red in certain light, they are usually blue. Luckily I don't need to rehome him ................ yet! But I've made a list of those who like REW.............. :D

Back