• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Painkillers and tummy upset (yuck, now fleas #13)

Elena

Wise Old Thumper
Has anyone else had a bunny with tummy upset after being on tramadol (0.1ml x2) and metacam (0.5ml x2) long term? Mini has always had a bit of a funny tum but lately she goes through bouts of weird poop. It's like normal poop but with soft poop as well. Sometimes even partly liquid but still with the normally formed stuff.

I have told the vet (but haven't been able to see Mark sadly) but he said it was likely her not being able to eat her cecals due to hip pain. But thinking about it it doesn't look like cecals to me. It tends to clear up in a day or two but is concerning (any also messy!)

I've had to start soaking her pellets as well because she's had a couple of choking episodes. One full on choking episode and then a couple of times where she's looked in some discomfort but then been fine. I don't know if that could be related.

Last edited:
Has anyone else had a bunny with tummy upset after being on tramadol (0.1ml x2) and metacam (0.5ml x2) long term? Mini has always had a bit of a funny tum but lately she goes through bouts of weird poop. It's like normal poop but with soft poop as well. Sometimes even partly liquid but still with the normally formed stuff.

I have told the vet (but haven't been able to see Mark sadly) but he said it was likely her not being able to eat her cecals due to hip pain. But thinking about it it doesn't look like cecals to me. It tends to clear up in a day or two but is concerning (any also messy!)

I've had to start soaking her pellets as well because she's had a couple of choking episodes. One full on choking episode and then a couple of times where she's looked in some discomfort but then been fine. I don't know if that could be related.

Sorry my reply will be brief, I'm not well

I am wondering if a blood profile may be a good idea to assess her Liver function

Re the choking episodes- is she a Dental Rabbit ? Have you noticed any increase in her respiratory rate/effort ?

Is she eating a normal amount for her and is she maintaining her weight ?

How long has she been on it Elena?

Has the poo problem just begun, or was it on and off for the time she's been on it?

One more question - how old is she? x

Sorry my reply will be brief, I'm not well

I am wondering if a blood profile may be a good idea to assess her Liver function

Re the choking episodes- is she a Dental Rabbit ? Have you noticed any increase in her respiratory rate/effort ?

Is she eating a normal amount for her and is she maintaining her weight ?

Oh :( I'm sorry to hear you're not well Jane, look after yourself!

She's had her teeth checked and they seem to be fine, I haven't noticed any respiratory problems lately, she has had a bit in the past, she was on penicillin for a couple of weeks as vet could hear something but it was small, she only put her on the abs as she also had a sore hock. So if it had been just one of those things she probably would've left it.

She is still eating well and actually lately I think she's putting on a little bit of weight.

How long has she been on it Elena?

Has the poo problem just begun, or was it on and off for the time she's been on it?

One more question - how old is she? x

Hi ya :)

She's been on metacam for quite some time, maybe three or four years, and the tramadol a couple of years. She's always had excess cecals, even when she was young but we did get it under control. It's come back in the last year or so but has got worse the past few months, on and off every few weeks.

She's nine now bless her.

The other thing is I noticed this morning flecks of brown in her fur, just along the top of her spine, can't see them anywhere else. I feel awful for not noticing this earlier :( Also saw a couple of long thing brown things (shudder). Managed to catch one and squished it. So I've made an appointment for Monday as obviously something is going on with her :(

Sorry she's unwell. I have no experience of both these medicines. I can't really compare to doughnut since she has digestion issues but she does a lot of sort stools. They are normal stools not cecals but mushy and sometimes in a log form or a blob! It has no effect on her she's just loose like she gets when eating grass. At least you'll have more of an idea on Monday. Good luck

Sorry she's unwell. I have no experience of both these medicines. I can't really compare to doughnut since she has digestion issues but she does a lot of sort stools. They are normal stools not cecals but mushy and sometimes in a log form or a blob! It has no effect on her she's just loose like she gets when eating grass. At least you'll have more of an idea on Monday. Good luck

Yeah these look like normal stools but in a mushy/liquid puddle. If she hadn't had normal poops as well I would've gone straight to the emergency vet long before now. Really I need to get a photo but she's ok now, this is the frustrating thing, there's no rhyme or reason!

I have noticed before that she's had bad tums around moult times, so I'm wondering if these yucky, yucky bug things could possibly be related, but I don't think so as that looks quite limited in area and I haven't seen her itching at all so I think that's a new thing. I dunno, it all gives me the creeps so I'm trying not to think about it too much! After doing some research I think they might be fleas :mrgreen: as the flecks streak red on wet kitchen roll. I always thought it was very rare for house rabbits to get fleas and as we have no other animals and have never had cats or dogs I feel completely uninformed about the whole thing!

Hi ya :)

She's been on metacam for quite some time, maybe three or four years, and the tramadol a couple of years. She's always had excess cecals, even when she was young but we did get it under control. It's come back in the last year or so but has got worse the past few months, on and off every few weeks.

She's nine now bless her.

The other thing is I noticed this morning flecks of brown in her fur, just along the top of her spine, can't see them anywhere else. I feel awful for not noticing this earlier :( Also saw a couple of long thing brown things (shudder). Managed to catch one and squished it. So I've made an appointment for Monday as obviously something is going on with her :(

I wonder where she would've picked up the fleas from? Just wondering whether there's any connection with the poo situation. When you say she's eating well, perhaps if she's eating more than normal that's causing the excess cecos? Also, I do sometimes find that in rabbits certain foods can cause a runny type stool without there being anything fundamentally wrong. Just the food upset their tummies. So could it be related to food or food intake?

Do you have to resort to banana or oats for the meds at all?

I wonder where she would've picked up the fleas from? Just wondering whether there's any connection with the poo situation. When you say she's eating well, perhaps if she's eating more than normal that's causing the excess cecos? Also, I do sometimes find that in rabbits certain foods can cause a runny type stool without there being anything fundamentally wrong. Just the food upset their tummies. So could it be related to food or food intake?

Do you have to resort to banana or oats for the meds at all?

Nope, no banana or oats, she definitely can't tolerate banana :( she's fine at taking the meds. She likes the metacam so I do the tramadol first and then the metacam after as a treat. She's always been good with meds :thumb:

I do have friends with dogs and cats, assuming it is that then I can only think I've managed to bring something in on my clothes. Otherwise it could only be the hay, I've started buying ings as I've had some ropey bales, at first I thought that was the reason and maybe she wasn't eating as much as usual but they love the ings!

Last edited:
Nope, no banana or oats, she definitely can't tolerate banana :( she's fine at taking the meds. She likes the metacam so I do the tramadol first and then the metacam after as a treat. She's always been good with meds :thumbup:

I do have friends with dogs and cats, assuming it is that then I can only think I've managed to bring something in on my clothes. Otherwise it could only be the hay, I've started buying ings as I've had some ropey bales, at first I thought that was the reason and maybe she wasn't eating as much as usual but they love the ings!

Probably not, but I thought I'd mention coccidia since you mention cats and dogs? Just that someone I know had a long period of diagnostics for all sorts of things and it turned out to be that (bunny is fine now after treatment)

http://www.medirabbit.com/EN/GI_diseases/Protozoal_diseases/Cocc_en.htm

Bleurgh, it is fleas :( :( :( Can only have come in from one of us, or a visitor, from someone else's animals. I suspect I know where it's come from :evil:

They've had advantage spot on and I have a spray to do the house. Apparently need to do everything and everywhere, that's gonna be fun :( I've set aside the weekend to do that as I have so much work to get through; got a photoshoot to finish editing, artwork for a photobook to finish (though I can put that one on the backburner) and my other job tomorrow and thursday.

Vet said that malformed cecals can present as liquidy-ness so it seems it's her ongoing problem just changed in form a bit. Actually last night I observed her trying to reach her cecals and then there a small puddle where she was sitting. She suggested that sore hocks might be making it worse and that the painkillers may be making a difference as well so there's not a great deal I can do about it. She suggested trying to work out if any foods make it worse.

Bleurgh, it is fleas :( :( :( Can only have come in from one of us, or a visitor, from someone else's animals. I suspect I know where it's come from :evil:

They've had advantage spot on and I have a spray to do the house. Apparently need to do everything and everywhere, that's gonna be fun :( I've set aside the weekend to do that as I have so much work to get through; got a photoshoot to finish editing, artwork for a photobook to finish (though I can put that one on the backburner) and my other job tomorrow and thursday.

Vet said that malformed cecals can present as liquidy-ness so it seems it's her ongoing problem just changed in form a bit. Actually last night I observed her trying to reach her cecals and then there a small puddle where she was sitting. She suggested that sore hocks might be making it worse and that the painkillers may be making a difference as well so there's not a great deal I can do about it. She suggested trying to work out if any foods make it worse.

Oh dear, how infuriating!

I second your vet's idea about working out which foods make it worse. I've had to do this. Takes a bit of time trying a different food (or eliminating it) each day, but then you have a clear way forward.

Good luck with the dreaded fleas :evil:

Hi. I have a bun (Xena) who has always had a dodgy tummy. She produces watery brown stuff occasionally when she eats her cecals. She also get bouts of large "wet" poos. With her, things like readigrass made this much worse. She has no rich foods and my buns only get hay and pellets and fresh forage in summer because of Xena's problems. It's something I just keep an eye on since she always seems happy in herself. She has a lot of health problems relating to e.c and also arthritis. She gets metacam twice a day but it doesn't seem to have affected her tum.
Have you tried protexin pellets? I found that helped Xena when she was really bad. X

Meh, I'm clearly using too much spray, I've gone through 1 1/2 cans just doing my room. I'm being much more thorough in my room but still! I have another on order from Amazon, just hoping it arrives tomorrow. Otherwise it's the local vets again which is double the price.

Hi. I have a bun (Xena) who has always had a dodgy tummy. She produces watery brown stuff occasionally when she eats her cecals. She also get bouts of large "wet" poos. With her, things like readigrass made this much worse. She has no rich foods and my buns only get hay and pellets and fresh forage in summer because of Xena's problems. It's something I just keep an eye on since she always seems happy in herself. She has a lot of health problems relating to e.c and also arthritis. She gets metacam twice a day but it doesn't seem to have affected her tum.
Have you tried protexin pellets? I found that helped Xena when she was really bad. X

Yeah she has those as well, but I might not be giving her enough. It's helpful to know she's not the only one who has watery cecals :)

Back