• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Dental buns and recovery from dentals

Pandora1

Warren Scout
Hi all

My male rescue bunny has recently had a dental (28th Sept). I was on holiday actually and had a call from the boarding place that he wasnt eating. They were prompt and got him to the vets and he had pus in his mouth and food stuck in his teeth that had caused an infection. The vet burred down his teeth whilst under anaesthetic. He stayed a night in the vets and then returned to boarding where he was on pain killer and antibiotics. He only finished the metacam on the 19th Oct and the antibiotic on the 20th Oct. He had a checkup on the 13th October as we were back from our holiday then and everything was ok. In the last day or so he seems quieter and not interested in food, only the odd banana. He wont eat grass and eats small amounts of hay. I am not sure if he is experiencing discomfort , he is not hunched up in pain, but seems a bit quiet . He has awful teeth and we keep an eye on him. The vet I saw for his checkup (not my vet) says he needs to be on a diet of just grass and hay, but I have to offer veg to see if he will eat. Any suggestions welcome. I will have to have him checked again at vets I know.

Pandora

Hi all

My male rescue bunny has recently had a dental (28th Sept). I was on holiday actually and had a call from the boarding place that he wasnt eating. They were prompt and got him to the vets and he had pus in his mouth and food stuck in his teeth that had caused an infection. The vet burred down his teeth whilst under anaesthetic. He stayed a night in the vets and then returned to boarding where he was on pain killer and antibiotics. He only finished the metacam on the 19th Oct and the antibiotic on the 20th Oct. He had a checkup on the 13th October as we were back from our holiday then and everything was ok. In the last day or so he seems quieter and not interested in food, only the odd banana. He wont eat grass and eats small amounts of hay. I am not sure if he is experiencing discomfort , he is not hunched up in pain, but seems a bit quiet . He has awful teeth and we keep an eye on him. The vet I saw for his checkup (not my vet) says he needs to be on a diet of just grass and hay, but I have to offer veg to see if he will eat. Any suggestions welcome. I will have to have him checked again at vets I know.

Pandora

I'm sorry to hear about your rabbit. It's very worrying when you feel the problem has been addressed and all should be well - but it isn't.

Unfortunately giving a rabbit with poor teeth just hay and grass to eat won't always ensure that the dental issues are resolved. In many cases a rabbit just *cannot* eat those things, with the best will in the world.

Did the vet take an X-ray whilst he was under sedation? It may be that if he has to go in for another dental this would be a way to find out what exactly is happening in his mouth.

Just a question - when the vet said to keep him on just grass and hay, did you cut down his 'normal' food and up the grass and hay? In which case, did he eat his usual food all up, or did he begin to leave that as well?

Hi Mighty Max, thanks for replying

Yes we have head x-rays from my own vet and I got my vets to send x rays to the vet who saw him whilst we were away, and yes he did go off his usual food. I do keep offering him banana, coriander, grapes, and he will take some. I have given him some metacam in case he is in discomfort and emiprid, but if he doesnt improve I will take him to the vets. I forgot to mention that he did some quite dark brown wees.

Pandora

Maybe you could offer some critical care, pellets mushed with water or some fine chopped hay to help him, at least until you take him to the vet. How is his tummy??

Στάλθηκε από το Lenovo PB1-770M μου χρησιμοποιώντας Tapatalk

Hi Mighty Max, thanks for replying

Yes we have head x-rays from my own vet and I got my vets to send x rays to the vet who saw him whilst we were away, and yes he did go off his usual food. I do keep offering him banana, coriander, grapes, and he will take some. I have given him some metacam in case he is in discomfort and emiprid, but if he doesnt improve I will take him to the vets. I forgot to mention that he did some quite dark brown wees.

Pandora

How's he doing now Pandora? :wave:

Hi

I kept him on metacam and emiprid for a few days and he just seemed to pick up, so he is at the moment back to his usual self eating hay and small amount of veg, and bounding in and out of his run and shed. Bizarre isnt it. Thanks for asking.

Pandora

Hi

I kept him on metacam and emiprid for a few days and he just seemed to pick up, so he is at the moment back to his usual self eating hay and small amount of veg, and bounding in and out of his run and shed. Bizarre isnt it. Thanks for asking.

Pandora

You're welcome :wave:

Strange little creatures, aren't they? Bet we'll never understand them! But we love them and that's all that matters xx

Back