• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Toby has eaten rubber

loobers25

Warren Veteran
Toby has eaten rubber the size of a 5p coin when I was cleaning them out this morning. It's definitely been swollowed. And It was the rubber trim of the dust pan. I have called jc and he is going to call me back. Have you got any advice for us in the mean time. I'm really worried 😓

Sent from my F3311 using Tapatalk

I'm sorry you've had to wait so long for a reply.

I assume Toby is breathing ok? If so then hopefully there isn't anything to be too worried about at the moment.

Keep an eye on his behaviour, how much he's eating and what his poops look like for a couple of days - if all seems normal then it's likely it passed through his system.

Making sure he has lots of hay/grass and fresh water available will help support his gut and keep everything moving.

I know it's easier said than done but try not to worry too much, rabbits are such inquisitive characters as I'm sure you'll know so things like this do just happen often. :)

Thank you for the reply. He's been drinking and eating since he ate the rubber just before 9.00 this morning. My vet has said to keep an eye on him and if he goes into stasis to bring him in ASAP.

Hes been sleeping all morning with milly so he hasn't pooped much only around 5 bum nuggets. Thank you for replying I am worried as the vet mentioned surgery if this blocks him up. Thankfully I have got him Insured a few months ago! Xx

I hope he continues to eat and drink ok, fingers crossed if he gets plenty of hay down him it will pass through ok. Animals often eat things they shouldn't! Sending lots of vibes.

Thank you for the reply. He's been drinking and eating since he ate the rubber just before 9.00 this morning. My vet has said to keep an eye on him and if he goes into stasis to bring him in ASAP.

Hes been sleeping all morning with milly so he hasn't pooped much only around 5 bum nuggets. Thank you for replying I am worried as the vet mentioned surgery if this blocks him up. Thankfully I have got him Insured a few months ago! Xx

Lots of hay and water for the lad, and hopefully he'll be absolutely fine :D

Back