• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

what's your excess on pet insurance

cpayne

Warren Veteran
Does anyone know their excess. I've just had my renewal and it says 25% of*the claim! That's with help u cover. Will investigate tomorrow how much pet plan and others will charge. They are by far the cheapest for me but don't want to pay 25%

She is 5 at the moment so I guess things will be changing. Want to pay a set fee though. Thanks for letting me know

With Petplan once they get to the age of 7 you pay standard excess plus 20% of the bill. The excesses for my 7years+ bunnies are over £100!!

With Pets @ Home all my policies, whatever age have £75 + 10% excess. I know that excess sounds high to a lot of people when they are shopping around so they choose Petplan etc but then Pp's goes up year on year, something I wasn't aware of when I took out the policies at the start.

Perhaps a good idea to move before the dreaded 5 years old cut off?

Sadly, it's a 4 year cut off with P@H.

I actually rang Pp four and a half years ago (just prior to Rudy's 5th birthday) to discuss all the excesses and premiums and moved Rudy back to Pp based on what they told me. His insurance would have been massively cheaper with P@H. You live and learn.

Last edited:
I call PP each year and challenge the premiums. Every time I've called in the past for other pets they've reduced it back down, if not to the previous rate then pretty close. (Depends on if I've claimed or if they have ongoing health problems).

I think my excess is £60 at the moment - not 100% sure but they're only a year old at the moment.

mollie and benjie (guinea pigs) are insured with exotic direct and the excess is now £65 (it used to be £50 when you first took out a policy but that changed recently) :wave:

I'm with P@H for all my buns - the excess is high yes - but the premiums are so much lower which does make a difference when you've got 9 rabbits! Starting premium is something like £7 per month - compared to PP of £15 (when I last checked). The premiums have gone up of course - but they are still cheaper - even Bobo who we've claimed a lot for is still cheaper.

I've never had any problems with them paying out either - although they do cover just up to £1,500 per year as opposed the £2,000 that PP covers.

I call PP each year and challenge the premiums. Every time I've called in the past for other pets they've reduced it back down, if not to the previous rate then pretty close. (Depends on if I've claimed or if they have ongoing health problems).

I think my excess is £60 at the moment - not 100% sure but they're only a year old at the moment.

What's the best way to approach that conversation? I might try that next year, but would have no idea what to say!

£55 with petplan, I have 2 bunnies aged around 18 months and my newest bun is approx 9 months - just insured her earlier this week.

Back