• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Bailey has an ear infection! :( :(

Ruthyjones89

Mama Doe
I'm heart broken... We went to the vets last night and it's been confirmed Bailey has an ear infection!

I just can't believe it after everything with honey, and feel the whole world is against me. I'm so sorry to whinge on here but know how much you have all supported me through everything.

So we've had a culture taken and currently on Cisco something.. Ear drops with metacam & Zantac as he's not eating brilliantly. But hopefully as soon as we get the culture results we can give him another anti-biotic which is looking the best to fighting it.

I have already said surgery & ear flushing is not even a consideration yet, after honey and we are going to do whatever we can to treat with anti-biotics. At the moment it's only in his right ear but we are keeping a very close eye on him.

Plan of action -

Culture results due back by Friday
Start another anti-biotics - look to treat for 2 weeks, then have a CT scan & see what we're dealing with.

At the moment he's showing no signs of head tilt & is literally just pussy in his right ear. So we are hoping & praying it will remain Otis externa. Any vibes for my gorgeous & cheeky boy would be really appreciated xx

Lots of vibes for Bailey from me. I know how hard ear infections can be. He may not be showing any signs of a tilt but it still might be worth joining the Help for Head Tilt Hoppers group on FB if you haven't already. There are so many people on there that have buns that are currently fighting ear infections.
There are quite a few antibiotic options. Oral Septrin is usually a good/popular choice to start with when it comes to ear infections. Injectable Penicillin is also an option. It mighy be worth knowing that Baytril is weak against anaerobic bacteria so is usually pretty useless when used for ear infections.
Big hugs for you.
Xxx

I'm heart broken... We went to the vets last night and it's been confirmed Bailey has an ear infection!

I just can't believe it after everything with honey, and feel the whole world is against me. I'm so sorry to whinge on here but know how much you have all supported me through everything.

So we've had a culture taken and currently on Cisco something.. Ear drops with metacam & Zantac as he's not eating brilliantly. But hopefully as soon as we get the culture results we can give him another anti-biotic which is looking the best to fighting it.

I have already said surgery & ear flushing is not even a consideration yet, after honey and we are going to do whatever we can to treat with anti-biotics. At the moment it's only in his right ear but we are keeping a very close eye on him.

Plan of action -

Start another anti-biotics - look to treat for 2 weeks, then have a CT scan & see what we're dealing with.

At the moment he's showing no signs of head tilt & is literally just pussy in his right ear. So we are hoping & praying it will remain Otis externa. Any vibes for my gorgeous & cheeky boy would be really appreciated xx

Ruth I am absolutely stunned by your news :shock:

When will you get the culture back?

Sending loads and loads of vibes for Bailey and a big hug for you xx

Thanks so much everyone!

Mighty Max - should be in by Thursday or Friday at the latest. They are growing one in house and also sent one off to the lab. So hopefully one of them will be successful! I've actually phoned the vets tonight and they might send me out some septin tomorrow so we can start that off in the meantime. To be fair now he's on his higher dose of metacam, it's obviously kicked in now as he's been jumping on and off our sofa and is back having his treats! :)

Thanks about the suggestion of head tilt Facebook page, I have been on this but brings back a lot of memories of honey which just really upset me. So I'll hold off for the moment but of course will keep a close eye and re join if helpful.

I was told when he was little he had narrow ears, but the fact I've been cleaning them so regularly and keeping them clean for him could have made it worse! Just so frustrating and kicking myself now! :( xx

Last edited:
Thanks so much everyone!

Mighty Max - should be in by Thursday or Friday at the latest. They are growing one in house and also sent one off to the lab. So hopefully one of them will be successful! I've actually phoned the vets tonight and they might send me out some septin tomorrow so we can start that off in the meantime. To be fair now he's on his higher dose of metacam, it's obviously kicked in now as he's been jumping on and off our sofa and is back having his treats! :)

Thanks about the suggestion of head tilt Facebook page, I have been on this but brings back a lot of memories of honey which just really upset me. So I'll hold off for the moment but of course will keep a close eye and re join if helpful.

I was told when he was little he had narrow ears, but the fact I've been cleaning them so regularly and keeping them clean for him could have made it worse! Just so frustrating and kicking myself now! :( xx

I'm glad you'll not wait long for the results :)

Did a vet tell you to clean the ears because they were narrow? What makes you think you've made them worse Ruth? xx

Oh Ruth I'm so sorry :( It's so unfair you're having to go through this again after everything you went through with Honey. I'm glad Bailey is feeling a lot perkier now and the good news at least is that your vet is on the ball with getting the culture so he'll be on the right antibiotic to fight the infection sooner rather than later.

Sending you lots of hugs and nose rubs for little Bailey xx

Many vibes for Bailey. Mouse had a gunky ear last year & it cleared after 2 weeks of Septrin - I wish an equally good result for your sweetheart Bailey x

Plan of action -

I am so sorry to hear this :cry: I really hope that the condition can be managed systemically. Ear infections are utterly evil :evil:

Sending lots of vibes for Bailey xx

I'm glad you'll not wait long for the results :)

Did a vet tell you to clean the ears because they were narrow? What makes you think you've made them worse Ruth? xx

Hi. Yeah basically from when I first took him at 12 or whatever weeks he was when I got him, they said he has narrow ears so it's likely at some point he will start to struggle and I'll need to clean them. I do this every week and what annoys me the most is he went only a month ago to have his nails clipped and a general check and his ears we're perfect, clean and nothing so this has come on just straight away. I'm hoping they'll send me some septin today so we can get some in his stystem.
I can tell it's hurting him.. As he's being quite clingy but he's still showing signs of his cheeky self which is the most important thing.

Hi. Yeah basically from when I first took him at 12 or whatever weeks he was when I got him, they said he has narrow ears so it's likely at some point he will start to struggle and I'll need to clean them. I do this every week and what annoys me the most is he went only a month ago to have his nails clipped and a general check and his ears we're perfect, clean and nothing so this has come on just straight away. I'm hoping they'll send me some septin today so we can get some in his stystem.
I can tell it's hurting him.. As he's being quite clingy but he's still showing signs of his cheeky self which is the most important thing.

Well I hope (and it sounds likely?) that it's otitis externa and not delved into the canals. And you've obviously caught it very soon :)

Thinking of you and hope you can get by without panicking too much, though with everything you've been through it must be hard.

Hugs xx

Dear Ruthy,

You have gone through a lot with all of your bunnies. I am sending you positive vibes that Bailey will respond well to his treatment.

Aw Ruthy, just seen this, I cannot believe this. Poor you and Bailey. Hopefully this is externa and you have caught it early and it clears up quickly. Sending vibes for you both x

Oh no ! I'm so so sorry to hear this, really gutted for you and poor Bailey. Hope the treatment gets to work quickly xxxxx

Back