• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Spaying - what to expect

Towsbuns

Mama Doe
Honey is going in for her spay on Friday and I was wondering what I should expect of her when she comes home. Also, as her and Hobo share a hutch should I separate them overnight or leave them together - they don't mount each other or get physical so I am thinking of leaving them together - what do you think?

Will see you friday night when we pick up the guineas then julie.
I would leave them together.
Honey might be a bit sore and quiet but should still eat even if it's only a small amount.
Simon and the team are very good and won't let her home if she isn't behaving normally. As in eating drinking pooing and weeing.
She will have had injection for pain relief and one of long acting antibiotic.
Good luck Honey will be thinking of you on Friday

I have just reread your post and understand now - see you at the vets - duh-thicko me!! I first thought you were coming over to mine to nick my guineas and I was about to get all protective and say hands off my guineas :x

Poor Honey. It really is a big operation.

You should leave her with her partner. I made the mistake of not bringing Caesar when I took her to the vet to be spayed.

She was very nervous and when she heard my footsteps coming to get her she shakily stood up an gave me the most pittiful look. I swore I would never leave her alone anywhere over night again EVER.

The vet said she slept in her little fleece cat bed and wouldn't leave it all night.

She was pretty groggy but very glad to be home. She ate a bit and slept cuddled up with the Geeze all night. Her stitches and the whole shaved area was bigger than I expected and she was tender for about a week. She also had a strong aversion to being held (head up, bum down, on my chest). She much preferred and still does to be picked up sideways and held flat across my arm.

After about 2 weeks her personality changed quite a bit. She became much more placid, less territorial and much more interested in strokes and cuddles. Yippie.

You might get stitches that disolve on their own. I would say that as they stay in longer than regular stitches, you should give them a wipe with diluted anisthetic everyday.

Good Luck Honey Bunny!

Well - good news, all went very well and Honey is home and happy. I was well impressed by the vets and they were so much more understanding with her than my usual vets - I think they have a new customer. It is worth the extra drive to get them looked after properly. Thanks Tracy for the recommendation - the guineas looked perky on Friday morning so they all got over their ops well.

Whey hey well done Honey.
Pleased that it all went. Also that you like the vets they're not a bad bunch.

Guineas made it home and as you say all are well and happy.

Back