• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Squeaking

Rallybunny

Warren Veteran
Hello all,

Evo has always squeaked (just a little tiny noise) when he's been reaching around to clean his back, but now he's started making this noise more often. For example, when he's cleaning easier to reach bits of himself, when eating and even when just lying down. It's still not very often, but I hear it at least a couple of time a day now. I've looked up his nose, and listened to his breathing, and everything seems fine there - no discharge or laboured breathing.
He went outside for the first time on Saturday (not since, because its been raining since then!), and I've changed the brand of shavings that I use in his litter tray. Could either of these things have caused a slight allergy that would be causing him to do this? The new shavings smell a lot more "woody" than the others and are a lot lighter in texture. He is his usual self apart from this.

Thanks,
Laura

Not sure about this. Millie makes lots of little noises to but if you are concerned I would definatley take Evo to the vets.

Does Evo kind of sigh and squeak at the same time when he's eating? Monty does this has done for a while I have always put it down to him being fat but Evo isn't fat, so maybe it is more serious??? Monty also does it while sleeping, watching him sleep is sooo funny. He goes into a very deep sleep and his closed eyes flicker and his little head nods but he also squeaks then. Chloe also makes a noise every now and then but I don't know why. Everytime she does it I have my back turned and it's only every now and then while she's eating. Maybe Evo just enjoys what he's doing and squeaks with happiness?

Angela

Thumps said:
Does Evo kind of sigh and squeak at the same time when he's eating?

Yes, and when he's cleaning.

Thumps said:
but Evo isn't fat

He isn't skinny :oops:

We have a vet's appointment on Monday, anyway, so I'll get them to check him out then. As I said before, his eating and general behaviour are fine, so unless anything changes, I'll just keep an eye on it..... I'd be more worried if he'd never squeaked before, but he has, just not as much as now.

Ah maybe he's like Monty and a little on the podgy side and it's a bit of a struggle for him to reach round to certain areas but that wouldn't answer why he does it when eating???? Worth asking the vet if they feel he's a little too podgy and thats why he does it.
Good Luck and let us know please?

Angela

Hi,

Rabbit are vocal animals, not as much as cats and dogs but they are. Some rabbits squeak, growl or grunt. It is perfectly normal, if your rabbit is in serious pain or stress it may squeel very loud, i have heard this when a bunny got caugt up in one of those harneses.

You may just find your bunny is just being talkative, i hope so and hope it is not a problem.

Emma

Thanks for reassuring me, Thumps & Emma..... I'll definitely mention it to the vet on Monday... he's certainly not squeeling like he's in pain.

My Josaphine is a little on the podgy side and she makes peculiar sqeaky noises when she reaches round to clean her rear end. It almost sounds like the sqeaky noise you get when cleaning windows, if you know what I mean :? . I notice other bunnies making this noise when cleaning but she is the loudest. I don't think it's anything to worry about but would mention it to the vet anyway.

Hmmm does sound like it's just with being a little podgy its a bit of a struggle and they squeak instead. Its like a high pitched but quiet (if thats possible) squeak isn't it? I think Monty squeaks while munching hay out of happiness, he certainly loks happy while munching anyway.

Angela

Did take him along, yes, thanks for remembering. The vet couldn't find anything the matter, checking teeth, lungs, nose etc. Funnily he hasn't really done it at all since we got back from the vet. *knock on wood*

:lol: He's probably thinking to himself 'Right, I'm not doing that again if she's gonna whisk me off to the vet to be poked and prodded........... stuff that for a lark!'

The Fonz squeaks at me all the time! Especially when she jumps and runs around like a complete nut! :lol: I think it's actually a sign of happiness, and like Comet Stud said, bunnies are quite vocal and Evo's probably just trying to talk to you! :D

Take care & Blessed Be!

Hazel squeaks when you pick her up, when she is dreaming and sometimes when she is grooming, she grunts when she is being fed and particuarly when she knows there is a tasty treat coming her way.

:) This thread has made me smile a bit - my two fab bunnies never make any noise at all -

By the way Rally Bunnie - I just loooooove your pickies on your threads every time I see them they make me smile - its almost as it the bunnie is talking to you!!!

The only thing that squeeks in my house is the G.Piggies - I've only got to step foot in the house and speak to the bunnies and there off - we moved house 12 months ago so lordy knows what the neighbours think!!!

All this about Bunny noises is real interesting though - I'll have to ask my tow if they have deafed me out as they are such quiet munchkins!!

Back