• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Myxi/VHD combo vac.

Just wondering about the vaccination. My new two are due theirs in November. Have been thinking about the fact that the vaccine seems to be failing. I just wonder if by making it a combination that the vhd part is weakening the effectiveness of the myxo part. Maybe they should have stuck to the two separate injections. Just a thought.

Just wondering about the vaccination. My new two are due theirs in November. Have been thinking about the fact that the vaccine seems to be failing. I just wonder if by making it a combination that the vhd part is weakening the effectiveness of the myxo part. Maybe they should have stuck to the two separate injections. Just a thought.

I don't think its any weakening of the vaccine. I think its the myxo evolving.

I don't think it's really possible for it to be failing for that reason. The combo has been around since 2012 and its only really this year which has been particularly bad. I suspect it's a combination of wet and mild weather meaning there are far more mozzies so it's spreading much more easily and the viral load is higher, plus possibly a more aggressive strain. As there are so many strains of myxo anyway, I think the vaccine is never going to be perfect, much like they can never get the flu vaccine perfect because the strains are always changing. Regardless of strain, vaccinated bunnies still stand a strong chance of survival though whereas unvaccinated ones don't.

From reading the science behind how they put the two vaccines together there is no reason for it to have weakened the myxo part of the vaccine. In fact (I cant remember the scientific details) but the vaccine we currently have is made from myxo so is much closer to myxo for the body to mount a response to the exact virus, the previous vaccine we had was made synthetically to be very close to the virus so the theory goes that it's far better protection.

The vaccine was designed so that the VHD part of it attached to the myxo virus in a way that it was like receiving one vaccine instead of 2. (I understood at the time but today I'm on brain freeze so can't explain it now!)

I don't think it's really possible for it to be failing for that reason. The combo has been around since 2012 and its only really this year which has been particularly bad. I suspect it's a combination of wet and mild weather meaning there are far more mozzies so it's spreading much more easily and the viral load is higher, plus possibly a more aggressive strain. As there are so many strains of myxo anyway, I think the vaccine is never going to be perfect, much like they can never get the flu vaccine perfect because the strains are always changing. Regardless of strain, vaccinated bunnies still stand a strong chance of survival though whereas unvaccinated ones don't.

I agree with Santa :D

Back