• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Injection site

roxyroller88

Mama Doe
When I took Sy to the emergency vets last night she gave him some jabs and when I put him back in the carry case my hand had blood on it. She checked him over and discovered that it was the injection site.
I've just stroked him and there's a sort of lump and a scab in the area. Is this normal??

I'm having to give Tethra Penicillin injections and found a few days ago that he had a very small lump at the place where I've been injecting. I think it's just a local reaction. Anyway it was completely gone in a couple of days. I obviously avoided that part when I gave the next injection.

I think you'll find that that is all it is and that it will go very quickly.

When I took Sy to the emergency vets last night she gave him some jabs and when I put him back in the carry case my hand had blood on it. She checked him over and discovered that it was the injection site.
I've just stroked him and there's a sort of lump and a scab in the area. Is this normal??

Baytril in particular can cause a reaction at the injection site :D

Other antibiotics and painkillers usually do not, but can in some instances.

Perfectly normal :D

Thanks Mighty Max :)
He had Metoclopramide and Vetergesic.
I've just had a look at the paper work from last night and it says that spurs are starting to form. Argh. How?!

I've just had a look at the paper work from last night and it says that spurs are starting to form. Argh. How?!

Just because spurs are beginning to form, doesn't mean at all that they will need to be dealt with straight away :D

I do know someone who's rabbit had to have dentals every two weeks (I am not saying this is true of Sylar) and we managed to cope with it :D Cross that bridge if and when you come to it? xx

Just because spurs are beginning to form, doesn't mean at all that they will need to be dealt with straight away :D

I do know someone who's rabbit had to have dentals every two weeks (I am not saying this is true of Sylar) and we managed to cope with it :D Cross that bridge if and when you come to it? xx

I'm not even going to consider that at the moment :( He's such a sensitive boy so I don't think that he would deal well with something like that.

Any short period of not eating can allow some spurs to develop. Now he's eating hay again he will probably sort them out for himself. It is VERY unlikely that he will suddenly require very frequent Dentals so please dont stress about that. It probably wont happen :)

Ah that would make sense. He's a great Hay eater and we get our hay from timothyhay.co.uk so it's quite long and stalky so hopefully that will help with his teeth :)

Ah that would make sense. He's a great Hay eater and we get our hay from timothyhay.co.uk so it's quite long and stalky so hopefully that will help with his teeth :)

Yup, excellent :D

Rabbits have a 'third' way of grinding their teeth, apart from pain or pleasure, and that's to smooth the crown surfaces :D

Back