• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Watering Eye

My mini lop has been getting a teary eye on and off for the last two weeks. When I first noticed, I cleaned it up with saline solution and cotton wool pads and the next day it was fine again (so I cancelled the vets appointment I had booked). A week later it came back so I took him to the vets. There is no infection, pus or redness, just a little watering. he still has a very healthy appetite. The vet checked his eye and said it was fine. There are very small spurs on his teeth, but she said they shouldn't be causing a problem yet. She gave me some loxicom to give to him for 5 days and see if the anti inflammatory action stopped the tears - if it did, it is likely the teeth. However, after 5 days, his eye is still tearing up. So it's probably not his teeth.

Does anyone have any idea on what it could be, or how to treat the eye?

Many thanks

Celestine is approx 4 yo mini lop male fully vaccinated including RHD2

My mini lop has been getting a teary eye on and off for the last two weeks. When I first noticed, I cleaned it up with saline solution and cotton wool pads and the next day it was fine again (so I cancelled the vets appointment I had booked). A week later it came back so I took him to the vets. There is no infection, pus or redness, just a little watering. he still has a very healthy appetite. The vet checked his eye and said it was fine. There are very small spurs on his teeth, but she said they shouldn't be causing a problem yet. She gave me some loxicom to give to him for 5 days and see if the anti inflammatory action stopped the tears - if it did, it is likely the teeth. However, after 5 days, his eye is still tearing up. So it's probably not his teeth.

Many thanks

It could be that the nasolacrimal duct (tear duct) is blocked. Did the Vet mention this ? Loxicom will only help reduce soft tissue inflammation, if the duct is being obstructed by an elongated tooth root then Loxicom wont make much difference. The only way to assess tooth roots is to take skull radiographs. If your Vet has noted some spurs on the molar crowns then tooth root issues are a possibility (but not a certainty)

Many thanks

Hi there

What a lovely name, Celestine, and quite unique :D

It sounds to me as if it's a blocked tear duct, know as Dacrocystitis :

http://wildpro.twycrosszoo.org/S/00dis/Miscellaneous/DacrocystitisRabbit.htm

Your vet can usually flush the tear duct without sedation, and sometimes it fixes the problem and sometimes it can recur. It may be due to elongated tooth roots, but even if it is, there is nothing to be done about the tooth roots and the watery eye has to be managed. A partner rabbit often cleans ups the eye :)

Loxicom will not fix the problem, but sometimes eye drops are needed to prevent any infection.

I would keep bathing it in sterile saline, as you have been doing - keeping it clean is the main thing. Your vet will decide at what point it's worth flushing it.

Good luck xx

Oh dear :( I don't entirely trust this vet, she didn't mention anything about the tear duct. Said just to keep it dry and watch his appetite for signs his teeth are hurting. She gave me the loxicom when I pushed for another solution. There is another vet I have been to before with my late rabbit, who is amazing. Given what you guys have said I think I'll take him there. Thanks for your input xx

Oh dear :( I don't entirely trust this vet, she didn't mention anything about the tear duct. Said just to keep it dry and watch his appetite for signs his teeth are hurting. She gave me the loxicom when I pushed for another solution. There is another vet I have been to before with my late rabbit, who is amazing. Given what you guys have said I think I'll take him there. Thanks for your input xx

You're welcome!

You could always post a thread in the Forum to find another vet? Or as you say, go to the vet who you believe to be very good :D You don't need referrals or any of that nonsense - just go and get it sorted. Shame is we waste our money on vets who are not rabbit savvy, but I guess they try their best :D

Back