• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Rhdv2 injection

TanzyPan

Alpha Buck
Found a place that isn't ever so far away to take Robin to this evening but I'm so anxious :(

My own vets didn't know about it , they haven't had any rabbits in with it .
They would order it in for me but would charge me £100 as a special order.
So I found a place via a Facebook group I found from a lady's signature here:) and he's having it tonight.

But the vets is in the back of a pets at home and I've seen them being talked about alot here and not always in a positive light
Plus they want me to sign a disclaimer when he has the injection as it's not licensed in the UK.

All this thrown in with some extra travel has me really wound up today.. the place that has it is about 14 miles away

Glad you found somewhere. Do you mean you've heard bad things about the vets, or about Pets at Home?

Is it the Filavac? I don't remember signing a disclaimer when our little guy had it. He was absolutely fine after his - only side effect was loud thumping from his carrier after :lol: xx

Found a place that isn't ever so far away to take Robin to this evening but I'm so anxious :(

So I found a place via a Facebook group I found from a lady's signature here:) and he's having it tonight.

But the vets is in the back of a pets at home and I've seen them being talked about alot here and not always in a positive light
Plus they want me to sign a disclaimer when he has the injection as it's not licensed in the UK.

All this thrown in with some extra travel has me really wound up today.. the place that has it is about 14 miles away

The Vets within some branches of PAH are a completely different company and nothing to do with PAH at all. There is some information about the RHD2 Vaccines and their legal status here

http://rabbitwelfare.blogspot.co.uk/

Some Vets are asking clients to sign a disclaimer but this does not mean that the vaccine is 'unsafe'. All but one of my Rabbits have received the vaccine (Filavac) and none had any adverse side effects at all. The Rabbit who did not receive the vaccine has a chronic health problem, he is unlikely to ever be able to receive another vaccine of any kind.

I think the only thing you need to worry about is the tantrum Robin may have for being taken to that pesky Vet again !!

The vets in Pets at Home can be very good, so please don't worry about the hype you've heard about the shop itself :) The vet itself is a completely different company!

Good luck for tonight x

Most pet shops are seen in a bad light on here and pets at home gets a lot of stick as its the biggest (although they are slowly improving), but I've never heard anything bad about the veterinary surgeries within the pet shops. Plus a vaccination is a very common procedure, even if the vet wasn't very rabbit savvy I'd rather have a vaccine with them than not at all :) The disclaimer is nothing to worry about, very few medicines are licensed for rabbits (licensing is an expensive process and cats/dogs are the real money makers) but that doesn't mean they're unsafe, many of these meds have been used in rabbits for a long time. Anyway this vaccine is licensed for rabbits (just not in the uk), but my point is the disclaimer form is something you're quite likely to see when your rabbit needs a medicine or procedure

The injection is filavac I asked especially as it's the one I've seen mentioned most .
Should I take his water bottle with me ?

I've never taken a water bottle with us to the vets. I just take him in his carrier with litter and plenty of hay, and his vaccination card. Oh and my purse of course! :lol:

It makes sense about the licensing, DemiS - I remember having to sign something when he stayed over, plus whenever he's had Metacam it always says it's for dogs.

As JJ and MM have said, V4P are different to PaH. Thinking of you, hope Robin doesn't get too angry with the vet! xx

Jaut wondering since its further than he is used to travelling .

I currently had no carrot tops in the house so I'm not sure how I'll get him in the carry case today:D he's eating dandelions faster than they are growing. Haha

Jaut wondering since its further than he is used to travelling .

I currently had no carrot tops in the house so I'm not sure how I'll get him in the carry case today:D he's eating dandelions faster than they are growing. Haha

Unless it's a really long journey, in which case I will have several stops, I find rabbits don't eat or drink very much whilst on the move.

Vets4Pets are good :D

Was a female vet who poked and prodded him giving him a full once over and he let her ..

My rabbits a ladies man :D

He behaved well apart from chewing the thing she used to look at his teeth :) which are still perfect

Back